Author Topic: Lookup footnote in book about Brandywine 1777 - death of Capt Henry NAIRN  (Read 1002 times)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup footnote in book about Brandywine 1777 - death of Capt Henry NAIRN
« on: Wednesday 04 September 19 01:28 BST (UK) »
Could someone with access to an American university library check a footnote in a book for me?

Thomas J. McGuire, "The Philadelphia Campaign: Brandywine and the Fall of Philadelphia", Stackpoole Books, 2006.

Footnote 312 referencing British casualties at the Battle of Brandywine described on page 259 of the book; and any relevant entry from the bibliography.

I looking for sources for the information about Capt Henry Nairn.

The book is partly viewable on google books, but the end matter is not included.

Thank you for any assistance.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup footnote in book about Brandywine 1777 - death of Capt Henry NAIRN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 06:11 BST (UK) »
Here are the results from worldcat that tell where the book is available.
https://www.worldcat.org/title/philadelphia-campaign/oclc/877948759&referer=brief_results

You could try contacting one of the libraries themselves. Ask for, or direct it to, the reference librarian. They might be willing to look it up for you.

I would recommend trying the Cleveland Public Library first. Maybe I'm prejudiced, having grown up there. But they also have an incredible database of obituaries online and the county in general is about as good as it gets for putting genealogical records online. I think they will be cooperative.

Their call number for the book is: E233 .M3 2006 V.1
It will save them trouble if you provide that.
Their site, with a "contact us" link is website: https://cpl.org/

Failing that, look for a volunteer in Cleveland/Cuyahoga County who is willing to go to the library, main branch. The rootsweb/ancestry message board for that county is active still:
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.northam.usa.states.ohio.counties.cuyahoga/mb.ashx

Try there. You don't need a paid subscription to use ancestry's message boards. Or, I would imagine there are any number of groups from the area on Facebook.

This does not look as active but it might be
http://sites.rootsweb.com/~ohcuyah3/index.html

If that doesn't work, repeat the process for another county where there is a public library holding the book. I don't expect a college will allow anyone to walk in and look things up, but as I said, you could try asking the college itself.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 06:23 BST (UK) »
PS. If they are not cooperative, try a library in the Philadelphia area that has the book. They might consider it local history and be willing to do it.

worldcat, starting with Phila's zip code:
https://www.worldcat.org/title/philadelphia-campaign/oclc/877948759&referer=brief_results

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 12:31 BST (UK) »
I have access to this book and will reply when it is delivered to my local library.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 18:45 BST (UK) »
Both Vol 1 and Vol 2 are "in transit" so should get them in a day or two.  What exactly are you looking for?  A complete bibliography? Something else?  PM me your request and email address so I can send it to you.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 September 19 14:53 BST (UK) »
the 2 vols are in, would appreciate contact info

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 September 19 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Genealiza, I have sent you a PM.  Thanks

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
COMPLETED: Lookup footnote in book Brandywine 1777 - death of Capt Henry NAIRN
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 September 19 03:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Genealiza for the copy of endnote 312, and to the member who sent me some more material on PM.  Thank you oldohiohome for reminding me about worldcat.

Endnote 312 quotes two sources:

1.   “Losses of the Military and Naval Forces Engaged in the War of the American Revolution,” Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography 27 (1903); viewable on archive.org/details/pennsylvaniamaga27hist/page/n365.  This shows Henry Nairne’s rank, regiment, and death place at Brandywine
2.   “General Return of the Names, Country, Age and Service of the Officers, &c. of the 64th Regiment of Foot,” W.O. 170184, PRO.

The War Office record is obviously the source of Henry’s age and there must be a chance it might show the county of his origin or enlistment.

This closes this lookup request, with further work for me to try to get access to the PRO record.

State of play identifying Captain Henry Nairn(e):

“My” Henry Nairn:

13 Oct 1735 - birth at Berwick St Leonard, Wiltshire, son of Rev. William Nairn.
24 May 1754 - matriculation to Trinity College, Oxford.  No record of B.A. or any other degree.  His two brothers who also went to University did graduate and were ordained.
19 Feb 1761 - possible marriage to Margaret Flint.  Identified as a gentleman.
About 1761 – daughter Ann born.  She died 1821.
1793 – mentioned in will of his cousin Rev John Nairn of Kingston who leaves a legacy to “Ann Nairn now or late of the City of Westminster, spinster, daughter of my late cousin Captain Henry Nairn.”
1807 – mentioned in will of brother Capt Fasham Nairn (HEIC) who leaves an annuity to “my Niece Ann Nairn Daughter of my Brother Henry Nairn.”

There is no evidence of a Captain Henry Nairn(e) in the East India Company.

Captain Henry Nairn(e) of the 64th Foot:

1735 – birth
1751 – 11th Regiment of Foot (North Devon regiment) returns to England from service on the continent.
1755 – 11th Foot augments its numbers in England.
17 Oct 1755 – Rank in Army for Henry Nairne.
1756 – strength of the 11th increased to 20 companies, divided into 2 battalions.
25 Sep 1756 – promoted to Captain Lieutenant in 11th and transferred to 64th regiment.
1757 – Lieutenant in 64th  (some uncertainty here about rank in both regiments)
21 Apr 1758 – the 2nd battalion of the 11th constituted the 64th Regiment (might explain the confusion in the previous two records).
2 Mar 1768 – Captain Lieutenant in the 64th
1768 – the 64th posted to America.
12 Jul 1770 – Captain in the 64th
11 Sep 1777 – killed at Battle of Brandywine, aged 42.

[Source for the information on the 11th Foot: "Historical Record of the Eleventh, or, the North Devon Regiment of Foot”, pub. 1845. Viewable on google.books]

Birth date matches, date of entry to Army is consistent with not completing university, rank matches, and death of the 64th man is consistent with the 1793 will.  Not proof, but a lot of congruence.

The only other Captain Henry Nairn I have found is the son of the 3rd Lord Nairn from Scotland who reputedly lived 1727-1818 and may have been in “the French service”.  If either of those dates are correct then Lord Nairn’s son cannot be the man from the 64th Regiment.