Author Topic: DNA muddle on chromosome 1 with DNA Painter  (Read 396 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
DNA muddle on chromosome 1 with DNA Painter
« on: Thursday 05 September 19 22:00 BST (UK) »
Trying to work through DNA matches but have come across something that is really making it difficult to use DNA Painter. The problem is on Chromosome 1 (all others showing results as normal).

My 4 grandparents each came from separate countries and I have done extensive research on all 4 of them and their ancestors. Now, here's the problem-

My Canadian 2nd cousin (DG) on paternal grandmother's side shows a match with my Irish 4th cousin (HB) on my paternal grandfather's side but that is probably because DG's mother's family came from this part of Ireland (think relationship is thru HB's mother).
Now, when I put DG & HB (both on my paternal side) into DNA Painter they overlap on chromosome 1. DG & I share 154.5 cm & under this range are loads of matches including HB with a large portion of match same as DG.

So, if my paternal relatives DG & HB are related to each other through their mothers would this explain the results I'm getting?
Eventually as I add more people I'm hoping to find known relatives that will help sort out some of the now unknown ones.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!