Author Topic: Monastery, Powerscourt.  (Read 2469 times)

Offline paumurp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Monastery, Powerscourt.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 16:20 BST (UK) »

.............and give Frumpstown (normally spelled Phromstown  but pronounced frump) which is a townland to the North of Monastery. 

Phrompstown townland, Old Connaught Civil Parish, Co. Dublin.
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/old-connaught/shankhill-rathmichael/phrompstown/
The Irish name for Phrompstown is Baile an Phrompaigh

KG

Well spotted :)
Murphy, Hughes, Graydon, Ellis, Wicklow
Keogh, Colohan, Tierny - Ballinsloe Galway
O'Brien, Hally, Hannon-  Tincurry, Kilcoran Tipperary
Tolmie, Porteous, Warrington, Crichton, Rattray, Cockburn- Dalkeith, Midlothian

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 September 19 00:07 BST (UK) »

It's still a townland north of the village of Enniskerry. It's not part of the Powerscourt estate as it currently exists.

However back in 18oo's things may have been different, but it may just have been a townland and not part of the estate

Trustees of Viscount Powerscourt in "Immediate lessor" column for majority of holdings in Monastery townland on Griffiths' Valuation. Some other names in the column were tenants sub-letting. It looks like Viscount Powerscourt owned most if not all of Monastery.
www.askaboutireland.ie/griffiths-valuation
Cowban

Offline paumurp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 September 19 00:37 BST (UK) »
The Powerscourt Papers available online from the National Library don't have any references to McMullen that I can find, but there are references to Monastery (spelled Monastry in it) so maybe you could find some other family names

https://www.nli.ie/pdfs/mss%20lists/124_Powerscourt.pdf
Murphy, Hughes, Graydon, Ellis, Wicklow
Keogh, Colohan, Tierny - Ballinsloe Galway
O'Brien, Hally, Hannon-  Tincurry, Kilcoran Tipperary
Tolmie, Porteous, Warrington, Crichton, Rattray, Cockburn- Dalkeith, Midlothian

Offline valmick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 September 23 06:31 BST (UK) »
my ggrand father was wlliam mcmullen he had three sons edward    thomas my gggranfather younger brother william my ggrandfather thomas born 1834 records just say ireland edward  born wicklow  married wicklow his younger brother born and married wicklow so my thomas must be born in wicklow thomas must have left wicklow at about 18 years lold and went to belfast for work he then married maryann young in greencastle a catholic parish they had 5 william  john dannial catherine  children  john being my greatgrand father  i want to find out obout thomas in wicklow   

Offline valmick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 08:53 BST (UK) »
 i think i have the same relatives as sharon my ggrandfather  was william mcmullen he had three sons edward born 1831 wicklow my greatgrand father was thomas born 1834 just says ireland  his younger brother was william born 1850 wicklow edward married susan curley 1854 in powerscourt rathdown thomas youger brother married to elizabeth wallace rathdown wicklow my thomas i think around 18 he left and went to greencastle near belfast must have gone there for work he then married mary ann young they married at roman catholic  church  st marys star of the sea in green castle belfast they had 6 chidren william  john my grandfather dannial mary catherine  james i want any imformation on thomas when he was in wicklow  thomas  died in leeds yorkshire 1867 so any imformatin about the mcmullens wicklow would be great   

Offline valmick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 October 23 07:45 BST (UK) »
 i think family search have me on the wrong track they have every thing right about gggrandfather thomas him marrying in greencastle co antrim and having children there but when they say his father is called william his  syblings edward and william  and   thomas  there is christenings for edward and william but no thomas  i think thomas brothers was called danial and james  so think i am on the wrong mcmullans   the mystery goes on  regards   mike