Author Topic: Henry Beaumont of Crosland/Crossland(probably circa 1450)  (Read 887 times)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Beaumont of Crosland/Crossland(probably circa 1450)
« on: Friday 06 September 19 23:09 BST (UK) »
Henry Beaumont of Crosland or Crossland is the father of Katherine Beaumont who became the wife of William Armitage/Armytage.

Their son, John (died1574), became the first Armitage "of Kirklees".

I can see the Armitage line but I'm really struggling with tracing Henry Beaumont of Crosland, father of Katherine. Online genealogies attach Katherine to to various other Beaumonts but it seems that Henry is the correct candidate for being her father.

Who is Henry and what is his lineage? Can anyone offer any insight?

Online J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Beaumont of Crosland/Crossland(probably circa 1450)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 September 19 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

A Beaumont family tree is in the Kirkheaton Church.

Most of the churches in this area have a connection with the Beaumont's which came over with William but there was another Beaumont that settled in Lancashire.

The Crosland Beaumont's are also known as Whitley Beaumont's and that is the Kirkheaton link.

You can also look at the Elland feud which makes Adam Beaumont a strong candidate for being Robin Hood.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 September 19 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks John

Are there any transcripts of that tree? I know from other research that I have a strong Beaumont descent right back to William of Normandy himself. I also know I have Armitage connections and the union between William Armitage and Katherine Beaumont is a chance to pull different branches together. One of the problems is the name variation. You have mentioned Whitley Beaumonts but there also appears to be a tendency to use the name Crossland and append de Beaumont to that.

There are several Henrys but none of them quite fits

Online J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 September 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Whitley Beaumont's & Crosland Beaumont's are the same family. They started in Crosland and then moved to Whitley and they are linked to several of the main high ranking families in the Huddersfield area and they also are linked to the present royal family through the queen mothers family.
If I remember correctly these Beaumont's came over with William but they got their lands through a connection with the De Percy family. I think the Lancashire Beaumont's got the land through the William connection.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb