Author Topic: Marian Cybulski  (Read 573 times)

Offline Solidarność

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marian Cybulski
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 November 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
I have the medals of Marian CYBULSKI (500033) and copies of his service record. He was Polish born, came to the UK, lived there and died in the UK in 1980, in Swindon, Wilts. He flew in WW2 (Coastal Command) and continued to fly post WW2. On the 1st Oct. 1951 he was commissioned as Pilot Officer (permanent) and he was promoted shortly thereafter to Flt. Lt. He continued to pilot heavy aircraft and during the Cyprus emergency his Avro Shackleton aircraft was one of three that flew aerial reconnaissance over the island enough times to qualify for the GSM and bar 'CYPRUS'. I think the unit was 11 RAF Maritime Reconnaissance Unit. I'm not sure from which station they flew however the main Shack base was at Lossiemouth in Scotland, certainly that's from where the last of them flew. Regarding Topcliffe, the 'sighting' was front page news in the British newspapers of the day and Cybulski is included in a group photo in one of the papers. Cybulski is a very common Polish name and whilst there was a DFC winner called Cybulski, he's J. A. and thus that's not Marian.