Author Topic: Marian Cybulski  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marian Cybulski
« on: Saturday 07 September 19 12:42 BST (UK) »
Marian Cybulski was a Polish Air Force officer who transferred to the RAF after the War.  He died in Swindon in 1980.  In September 1952 he was involved in sighting an apparent UFO at RAF Topcliffe which led to nation wide alarm and publicity.

I have found two copies of the newspaper reports of the incident in the Yorkshire Evening Press 20 Sep 1952 and the Sunday Dispatch of 21 Sep 1952.  Unfortunately both are incomplete.

Can anyone help with information or tell me where I can get full copies of these reports.  Many thanks.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Marian Cybulski 304 and 269 Squadrons
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 September 19 17:09 BST (UK) »
Marian Cybulski was a Polish Air Force officer who served with distinction in 304 Squadron during WW2.  He transferred to the RAF after the War ended.  He died in Swindon, Wiltshire in 1980.  In September 1952 he was involved in sighting an apparent UFO at RAF Topcliffe which led to nationwide alarm and publicity.

I have found two copies of the newspaper reports of the incident in the Yorkshire Evening Press 20 Sep 1952 and the Sunday Dispatch of 21 Sep 1952.  Unfortunately both are incomplete.

Can anyone help with information or tell me where I can get full copies of these reports.  Many thanks.

Threads merged to prevent duplication.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marian Cybulski 304 and 269 Squadrons
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 September 19 17:16 BST (UK) »
If you have access to FindMyPast there is a long article in the Coventry Evening Telegraph, 20th September 1952.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 September 19 17:28 BST (UK) »
I wonder if he was related?

https://www.discogs.com/group/thread/640844
4602d Unit History "UFOB Program"
"On 4 December 1953 Colonel [John M.] White, Captain [Joseph A.] Cybulski and Captain [Milton] Bellovan attended a conference with General [Brigadier General Woodbury M.] Burgess for the purpose of discussing the role of the 4602d AISS in the Unidentified Flying Object (UFOB) Program, and an ATI [Air Technical Intelligence] course for the 4602d. It was proposed that in the future the 4602d will be the agency responsible to ATIC for the investigations of FLYOBRPTS in the ZI [Zone of the Interior or the United States]. Captain Cybulski was appointed FLYOBRPT Officer and departed on 5 December 1953 for Wright-Patterson AFB for the purpose of (1. Establishing the role of the 4602d in the collection and reporting of FLYOBRPT data and (2. Developing an ATI course to meet 4602d requirements. The course will be designed primarily to instruct our personnel in the latest technical developments in SLRA, ECM, and A-Bomb and Guided Missile techniques as applicable to our responsibilities."

https://www.saturdaynightuforia.com/html/articles/articlehtml/itn52part43.html has various newspaper rep[orts - and a picture of RAF men including F/Lt Cybulski (but the Sunday Dispatch report is incomplete).

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 September 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you,

That is exactly the sort of information I wanted.  Fascinating to see such reports from all over the world on the same day!

But my research is concerned with where F/Lt Cybulski was actually serving and at least two of the reports prove that he was at RAF Topcliffe at that time.  So I now have some firm evidence of his location.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 September 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
JenB

Thank you, I will try to get a copy

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marian Cybulski
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 September 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
The British Newspaper Archives has several reports from different newspapers showing.
I do not know how complete a report you are after, as each will depend on what the newspaper chooses to write.

Flying Saucer joins N.A.T.O.'s big exercise
"FLYING SAUCER" entered Exercise "Mainbrace" to-day following a report from the R.A.F. station at Topeliffe (Yorks) of a white object having been seen which accelerated at a speed in excess of a shooting star. R A F officers at the Mainbrace headquarters in Fifeshire would not state what view was being taken of the report. An R.A.F. spokesman refused to commit himself whether the report was regarded as a serious one. He added: "It is being investigated." The report led to a N.A AF I saucer being placed on the plot of the exercise. The saucer, fastened with ribbons. was placed on the plot alongside the name Topcliffe. and the R.A.F. duty controller opened up a new signal file headed "saucer sightings and movements" where he could file further signals on the object. The object was seen by about ten R.A.F. officers and men. the crews of Shackleton aircraft operating from Topcliffe. The signal reporting what they had seen was passed by the intelligence officer at Topclife to the maritime headquarters at Pitreavie (Fife) and to Coastal Command headquarters at Northwood (Middlesex). The signal said that the object was seen at 10-53 am. yesterday when a Metoer aircraft was at 5.000 feet and was A white object was seen five miles astern of the aircraft at approximately 15.000 feet.
 SILVER IN COLOUR It was moving at a comparatively slow speed on a course similar to that of the aircraft The object was silver in colour and circular. It maintained a slow forward speed before beginning to descend. swinging like a pendulum. It was thought by those who saw it to be a parachute or cowling from the Meteor. but an RAF spokesman said to-day that no Parachute or cowling had fallen in the vicinity of the station. The signal reported that the aircraft turned towards Dishforth and the object. while still descending. appeared to follow. It then began a rotary motion about Its own axis. but it suddenly accelerated at Incredible speed in a westerly direction. then turned to a south-easterly course.
NOT SHOOTING STAR Those who saw it stated that its movements were not identifiable with anything they had seen in the air, and that the acceleration was in excess of that of a shooting star. The duration of the incident was between 15 and 20 seconds. The object was seen by Flight Lieut. Kilburn and Flight Lieut. Cybulski. both captains of aircraft, by Filing Officer Paris. Master Signaller Thompson. and by about six other aircrew members. An Air Ministry Meteorological Office spokesman said: "The object could have been a Met. balloon. They are released daily." Such balloons are sent up from Liverpool. Leuchars. Stornoway and Aldergrove. They are about six feet in height and are white. An Air Ministry spokesman said this afternoon: "We have no comment to make on the report of the sighting of a flying saucer."

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marian Cybulski
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 September 19 23:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you that is precisely the kind of report I am looking for.  The ideal would be the front page report of an English newspaper The Sunday Dispatch of 21st September 1952.  I have found this in several locations, all of which show only the top half of the front page.  The article goes onto the bottom half but I have not been able to find a full copy.

This article gives the report from the viewpoint of F/Lt Cybulski and other RAF crewmen.  I have found similar stories in several American newspapers but they all either sensationalise it or make it seem like a joke.  Not the best of journalism!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 September 19 23:22 BST (UK) »
Duplicate thread here

Threads merged.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)