Author Topic: RUSSIA: Names of Russian Immigrants  (Read 2834 times)

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RUSSIA: Names of Russian Immigrants
« on: Thursday 18 August 05 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found a reference to the naturalisation of a Russian ancestor in 1912 in the national archive - which is great. His name is down as Simon Wolman, known as Simon Wallman. Can I assume from that that his original Russian name was Wolman?

Sarah
Manchester - Middleton, Roberts, Bentley, Pieri. North Yorks - Middleton, Robinson, Shepherd, Peacock, Sigsworth. Notts - Wass, Durance, Lowe. Leics - Henton, Debrex (or Deverex or Devereux etc etc!). Middlesex/London - Messenger, Pieri, Roach. Sussex - Messenger. Ireland - Pieri, Collopy

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Names of Russian Immigrants
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 05 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello

It seems so.  There is a record online too here http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSearch.asp?WebType=0&Referer=full

Regards
Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 05 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Jonathan

I am extremely grateful for the reference to the London gazette - as I have found a second Simon Wolman living in Manchester and I thought I might have found the wrong one - the address in the gazette confirms that it is indeed correct!

I have been doing a bit more research on ancestry.com and have found that his son was registered under the name Wollman in 1898 - so I suppose the difficulty comes in translating Russian into English?

All in all I've had quite a fruitful morning this morning - so thank you again for your valuable contribution.

Regards
Sarah
Manchester - Middleton, Roberts, Bentley, Pieri. North Yorks - Middleton, Robinson, Shepherd, Peacock, Sigsworth. Notts - Wass, Durance, Lowe. Leics - Henton, Debrex (or Deverex or Devereux etc etc!). Middlesex/London - Messenger, Pieri, Roach. Sussex - Messenger. Ireland - Pieri, Collopy

Offline alpobc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 November 05 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah:
The Russian language doesn't have a sound for 'W', therefore the Russian spelling may be Волман which would be pronounced 'Volman' and as a few languages (Dutch, German etc) pronounce 'W' as 'V' it's likely that immigration transliterated it back to 'W'.

Al.

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Al - that's interesting and very useful - I thought that the immigrant would choose a name - but it sounds like their name was almost chosen for them by immigration.

Kind regards
Sarah