Author Topic: Finding repository holding 1821 census  (Read 2377 times)

Offline DeejS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding repository holding 1821 census
« on: Sunday 08 September 19 21:52 BST (UK) »
I have found the transcription for an Armagh return from the 1821 census on the IFHF website. I would like to know the providence of this information - that is, in whose collection does it sit, what group made these transcriptions - in order that I can actually check out the original (no offence to volunteers but errors can happen in the best of transcription processes).
I know where it is not. The National Archives has put their collection of Pre-1901 census fragments on-line, but Armagh is not found there. PRONI e-catalogue shows essentially the same fragments ie nil for Armagh. The LDS Family History Library has the 1821 fragment microfilmed and now on-line but it is for Kilmore Parish in County Cavan. Again nil for the Armagh fragment
Yet I know it exists somewhere since a transcription was done. Has anyone else run into this census or would know who to contact next (I have emailed the IFHF to ask what they know since it is on their website after all but ...) Dorothy

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding repository holding 1821 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 September 19 23:52 BST (UK) »
You need to scroll down the page
https://rootsireland.ie/armagh/generic.php?filename=centres/armagh/sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources
It says it comes from PRONI source T636 and was most likely transcribed pre 1922 from the original Census.

Offline DeejS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding repository holding 1821 census
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 September 19 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Pre 1922 would certainly explain why it can not be found. Another reason to cry over the fire.