Author Topic: John SYKES deserter 1862  (Read 1016 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
John SYKES deserter 1862
« on: Monday 09 September 19 05:11 BST (UK) »
I have a John SYKES born 1838 in Witcham. In the 1861 census he is a Private at the Chatham Barracks, Kent. I know that he married Rachel HARVEY in 1857 and had 2 children George in 1858 and Charles in 1861. (I also know his parents, so don't need any help there   :) ) I haven't been able to find them after 1861. However, I have recently found a newspaper article 27 Sept 1862 which says:

"DESERTER - John Sykes, of Witcham, was charged upon his own confession, with being a deserter, and was sent to prison. The authorities of the War Office will be written to"
 Cambridge Independent Press. (Sept. 27, 1862)

Is it possible to find which prison he may have been sent to, and whether any records exist? How long would he likely be in prison?

Any help most appreciated.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John SYKES deserter 1862
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 September 19 09:04 BST (UK) »
Per the Cambridge Chronicle and Journal of 27 September 1862  he was remanded to the Borough Gaol.

He'd have stayed there until the army advised what to do with him. It's likely that a detachment of his regiment (the 43rd) would have been sent to collect him.

Fold 3 apparently has a record of a court martial at Chatham on 18 October 1862. John Sykes, 43rd Regiment.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 September 19 10:54 BST (UK) »
found f.m.p.????
middlesex old bailey court 1676-1913
john  foster sykes, 26.10.1857.
role  victim,
refhttp://www. oldbaileyonlineimages, jsp?doc=185710260171
Trial t  18571026-1118
source  t 18571026- NAME 693
Margaret.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 September 19 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for your replies.

Shaun, that's great information. So, court martial in Oct 1862. I wonder what happened to him after that, will keep looking. Excuse my ignorance, what is "Fold 3"?

magslote, thanks for that reference, though I think this is a different John SYKES, as the one in the case at the Old Bailey was  a flannel and blanket merchant. Such a common name!

Modified to add:
Sorry, should have realised Fold 3 is military records - I'm not an ancestry member anymore, so might go to the local library to look it up.  :)

Offline MS62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddys52
It seems are pathes cross again !
I found John in Chatham in 1861 and also the fact that he deserted ( this came from the local newspaper ) . You say he was married to Rachel Harvey ( which is new to me ) I've had a look and there is a Rachel Sykes in Kent in 61 then in Surrey in 71 81 , like you am not a paid up member so no more info , sorry .
If you look on the Crimean war causulties list there is a John and Joseph Sykes mentioned their service numbers are 3779 and 3796 7th Royal Fusiliers maybe they joined together ? I know a lot of men enlisted in Ely for the Crimean war , Queen Victoria gave Ely the cannon on Palace green in recognition .
Perhaps someone will be able to tell us from the service numbers where the above came from ?
Sorry all a bit vague .

All the best Mark
Ps still no luck with Thomas !,,,,

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 September 19 04:50 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you Mark.

Thank you for that info - will try to follow up at our local library the service numbers.

I haven't got my notes in front of me, but pretty sure about Rachel HARVEY. The Rachel SYKES in Kent has youngest baby with her, and from GRO mother's maiden name was HARVEY. Pretty sure she was hard to find in 1841 and 1851, but seem to remember she was in a workhouse with parents and family in 1841. I'll check my notes tomorrow.  ;)

regards,
Maddy (still searching for Thomas too!)

Offline MS62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 September 19 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddy
Have been doing a little digging and found various records none of which can be proven ??? Here goes .

Rachel Sykes ( nee Rachel Harvey ) widow married James Green in Lambeth 1868 ?

John Sykes  death 1863 Registration district Cambridge ?

I know this is a long shot as can't prove any of it !

Where did you find the marriage of John and Rachel and also the elder brother George ? As I'm not having any luck .
I have found a Rachel Harvey in a workhouse in Cambs (Caxton ) age 3 , 1841 and also a birth registration for 1839 in Elsworth ( another link to Thomas ??? ).

This is now getting more like inspector morse .
Hope it doesn't do your head in to much .

All the best
Mark

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 September 19 10:41 BST (UK) »
John Sykes  death 1863 Registration district Cambridge ?

Age 85
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Mark,

John SYKES married Rachael HARVEY Dec qtr 1857 Ely (3b/1333).
George SYKES (mmn HARVEY) birth reg Sep qtr Ely (3b/496)
Charles SYKES (mmn HARVEY) Mar qtr Medway (2a/367)

I don't have these certificates (as didn't want to fork out too many dollars for not my direct line!) but I think they look fairly good, especially with the 1861 census.

I'm pretty sure Rachel is baptised at 17 Feb 1839 with parents William and Mary (birth reg Mar qtr Caxton 14/27) mmn VIRLEY. She is in Caxton workhouse in 1841 with family (mother Mary, no William). H0107/68/2 pg 1. But I haven't been able to find her in 1851. I realise the only way to be sure this is the correct family is to buy the marriage cert of John SYKES and Rachel - if I come into an inheritance I might do that one day!