Author Topic: Harriet GOLDING  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriot GOLDING
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 October 19 14:10 BST (UK) »
Gadget - as I have already said I agree that there has to be some Hampshire connection. But as far as I know, there is no Eliza or Elizabeth in Harriet's immediate family. The Eliza mentioned in the other thread would appear to be the daughter of another couple, who may or may not be related to Harriet or her parents.

Harriet's birth is consistently given as 1801, even in 1861 and at her death in 1870.

CaroleW -  For me, Harriet's location in 1841 and 1851 though discussed remains a mystery. As far as I am aware, there is no record of Harriet's - as opposed to Eliza's - presence in 1841 or 1851. Have you uncovered where Harriet was in 1841 or 1851?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 October 19 14:23 BST (UK) »
Gadget - as I have already said I agree that there has to be some Hampshire connection. But as far as I know, there is no Eliza or Elizabeth in Harriet's immediate family. The Eliza mentioned in the other thread would appear to be the daughter of another couple, who may or may not be related to Harriet or her parents.

I have suggested that you obtain a copy of her will. It might give you some information that could be of use. Have you obtained it?  All that is known is that Whickham was the executor.

Why did Harriet end up in Gresford? What is her relationship to Eliza - these questions are relevant.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 October 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
I am in the process of obtaining the will. I agree that it may cast some light on matters.

But I am still puzzled by her sudden reappearance in 1861 after so many years.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 14 October 19 15:16 BST (UK) »
I've been looking through the BMDs and censuses for Harriet and Eliza. I don't see an obvious Eliza before 1851 (maybe I've missed them), apart from a couple of possible baptism records for her. I haven't found a death for her, although I may have missed it.

I'm wondering if some error might have occurred and Eliza might possibly be Harriet - the only difference being their ages.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 October 19 15:24 BST (UK) »
According to Trish on the other thread:

FreeREG has;
Baptism Whitchurch
ELIZABETH Golding 03 May 1807 to JAMES/MARY

Not sure who James and Mary are. Harriot's older sister Mary (b 1795) did marry James RAY in 1816, but this can't be their child. Perhaps James was a brother to Harriet's father?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 14 October 19 16:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, I did say that I'd found baptism records of Eliza/Elizabeth but the main point of my post was :

I've been looking through the BMDs and censuses for Harriet and Eliza. I don't see an obvious Eliza before 1851 (maybe I've missed them), apart from a couple of possible baptism records for her. I haven't found a death for her, although I may have missed it.

I'm wondering if some error might have occurred and Eliza might possibly be Harriet - the only difference being their ages.

I'm sorry but I note that you don't seem to be reading my posts fully.   

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 October 19 16:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I now see your point about no corresponding death. I'm not usually this thick - I blame railway coffee as I am on a train. Missing deaths are more unusual as they need to be registered for burial.

Whilst the missing corresponding death is intriguing, the discrepancy in DOB still worries me. After all she knew that she was born in 1801 in 1861 and it was also known at her death in 1870, so why should it be so wrong at an earlier time?

I have found a Harriet GOLDING born in 1801 in London in the 1841 census, together with a Jane Golding (15) and Ellen Golding (15) at Maddox Street, St George Hanover Square, London. But I have no idea if this is her. I can't find them in 1851.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 October 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
The Harriet who you found with Jane and Ellen in 1841 is probably  here in 1851 and  I don't think she's yours.

Stow, Suffolk
Harriott Golding, 50, Attorney's wife, b, Middlesex
Jane, 28
Ellen, 26

HO107/1794/65/22

There is also a Miss Golding in the 1841 in Ventnor, Isle of Wight in the household of a John Briant

Miss Golding 40, b. Hampshire. She's been entered as a lodger but this has been scribbled out

HO1097/406/5/36/36

Gadget