Author Topic: William Price's correct parish?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Eastlea191

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Price's correct parish?
« on: Monday 09 September 19 21:34 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 Welsh census, my ancestor, William Price, said he was born in Brecon in what looks like Lanfallai.   William was approx 52 years old, married with children & living in Dowlais in 1851.  He also had a boarder, Watkins Price, age approx 27 living with him from the same parish in Brecon.

I'm guessing that is Llandefalle.  Are there other possibilities I should consider?

William immigrated to the US with his family & was in Pennsylvania by the 1860 US census so the 1851 Welsh census is the only clue I have to his birth location.

Debbie
Fairfield CT

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Price's correct parish?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 September 19 21:57 BST (UK) »
Can you give us the census reference please?   Have looked at 2 different sites and can't seem to find this census entry.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eastlea191

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 00:59 BST (UK) »
Annette,

The following numbers are on the 1851 census sheet.  ED 1b, Piece 2459, Folio 48, Page 40, Household 135.

If you are going to look at the sheet, would you also look at wife Mary's birth location.

Thanks,

Debbie

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 02:47 BST (UK) »
The closest I can get for 'Llantyffan' is Llandyfeisant or Llanddeusant.   You really need help from someone familiar with the Welsh language.

Best I can do I'm afraid.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 15:04 BST (UK) »
The closest I can get for 'Llantyffan' is Llandyfeisant or Llanddeusant.   You really need help from someone familiar with the Welsh language.

Best I can do I'm afraid.

Annette

Familysearch has it as llanbyfan, from genuki extended list Llanduvaen is remotely possible,  near Llandeilo.

Familysearch has William as born Brecknockshire, does the image say Brecon as in the town of Brecon, rather than the county

Mike

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 19:45 BST (UK) »
There is an area of Brecon on the south-western side of the River Usk called Llanfaes.  Would help if I could see the original document though, as I could then see if this was likely.  As with most places round here, there are various ways of spelling it.  And bearing in mind that the census was in Merthyr, it is quite likely that whoever was writing it down could have been a bit creative with the spelling.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 19:49 BST (UK) »
I doubt very much that it would be Llandeusant as that is nearly 20 miles away from Brecon and in the next county, Dyfed, whereas Brecon is currently in Powys but was formerly part of Brecknockshire.  A lot of workers went over the mountain down to Merthyr in the 19th century because of the plentiful work in the iron works and the mines.  Once in the South Wales valleys, they tended to move from town to town, depending on where the work was.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 19:55 BST (UK) »
I shoould have pointed out that Mary Ann says born in Carmarthenshire in 1851, it is her birthplace I was suggesting as a remote possibility.

Mike

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 19:58 BST (UK) »
As a matter of interest, I think quite a few people from this part of Wales emigrated to the US in the 19th century, and some to Pennsylvania.  When my late husband and I bought a very old house in a Welsh village about 12 miles from Brecon in the 1980s, we were given the title deeds.  Looking through these we were fascinated to find that the house had been owned by the Morgan family in the 1800s, but that at some point one of the sons, David Morgan, emigrated to the United States.  In 1881 the father of the family died, and left the house to his son, David Morgan.  Amongst the deeds was a conveyance of the property by which David Morgan sold the house to Thomas Davis, a stone-mason.  The title deeds must have been sent all the way to the US for David Morgan to sign, as he is shown as signing them in Stockton, Pennsylvania, USA.