Author Topic: Missing STEWART family – Redgorton c1850’s  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing STEWART family – Redgorton c1850’s
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 17:19 BST (UK) »
A John was born to a James Stewart and Catherine Taylor 1835 in Fowlis Wester
A Christian in 1821 in Moneydie
A Janet Peddie Stewart Fowlus Wester on 1828

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 17:24 BST (UK) »
CORRECTION     On the 1841 census they are under Steward which made it difficult. Children, Hellen, Elspeth & John. James is still to be born. 

Offline NormanS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks ever so much for all your feedback, it is much appreciated  :).  Please see further info:-

Marriage Banns for James S and Catherine T were read in Moneydie and Methven.

I have details of the following children:-
Christian - born Moneydie 1821 (SP)
Elspeth - born Methven 1825 (no birth record)
Janet Peddie - born Fowlis Wester 1828 (SP)
William - born Redgorton c1832 (no birth record)
Helen - born Methven 1833 (no birth record)
John - born Fowlis Wester 1835 (SP)
James - born Redgorton 1841 (SP)

They're definitely resident in Crossgates, Redgorton until 1849.

William's marriage certificate definitely states the occupation for James, and William, as Flesher, not Slater.

Catherine was definitely born in Moneydie in 1799, not Blair Atholl.

I have considered the possibility that James, Catherine and James junior may have emigrated to Australia after 1849 but have been unable to find any evidence to support this.

I know that Elspeth, after her marriage to Angus McIntosh, lived in Perth until at least 1891.

John died in 1869 in Logiealmond and William died in 1862 in Crieff.

Many thanks
Norman

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 September 19 10:05 BST (UK) »
I think Janet Peddie was at the Taylor's house in Logiealmond for the 1841 census under the name Jannet, age 12. John 65, Jannet, 65 and 2 others, Margaret 25, & Jannet 20. Catharine Taylor's parents were John T & Janet Pearson

Offline NormanS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 September 19 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. It’s much appreciated. I agree that this looks much like Janet Peddie Stewart  :). Still drawing a blank on the 1851 census but have checked the death certificate for Janet Taylor and this has enabled me to go further back on the Taylor side thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 September 19 18:31 BST (UK) »
I have searched the census records on Scotland’s People, Ancestry and Find My Past together with the death records on Scotland’s People but to no avail.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LeighS

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Norman, I must be related to you. James Stewart and Catherine Taylor are my 4 x great grandparents. I am descended from their daughter Elspeth Stewart who married Angus McIntosh and their son James McIntosh who was borin in Perth in 1865 but moved to Thornaby, North Yorkshire, England and married his wife from Dowlais, South Wales. He died in Thornaby in 1920 and I still live around that area.
On Ancestry, I have found the census records for James Stewart and Catherine nee Taylor for 1841, 1851 and 1861. For Catherine on her own I have found her on the 1871 census as a widow. All of them say that Catherine was born in Fowlis Wester, Perthshire. How did you find her birth in Moneydie?
I have just found this thread today and I'm so pleased. I've been trying to research my family tree for over 20 years and I have always hit a dead end with my Scottish ancestors.

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 March 21 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have spent years now trying to figure out the puzzle of my own Stewart grandmother (3X). It may be that some of the records I've collected might have some information that would help you. My Mary Stewart was born at Madderty, the daughter of either Duncan Stewart and Jean Miller, or Alexander Stewart and Ann Neish. Both girls were baptised on the same day in 1826. (I've ruled out another Mary from Madderty, who was born the following year to John Stewart and Janet Foulis.) In the course of trying to find Mary, I've traced some records of all three families, and also some of the Stewarts at Dunning, who are possibly related in some way. If anyone has any connection to any of these Stewarts, I would be glad to compare information, if only to eliminate possibilities. In particular, it would be helpful if anyone has a death record for a Mary Stewart, born Madderty, as it is impractical to keep buying records of every Mary Stewart born that year. (there are 136 deaths of a Mary Stewart, born 1826, on SP)
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 March 21 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there  :)

There is a family tree on Ancestry www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/1578746/person/-795153052/facts (you need a subs to view, don't know if you have this).

It has Mary Stewart, daughter of Duncan Stewart and Jean Miller, as having married an Alexander McPhee in 1855. Her death on 13 March 1902 Kingussie, Inverness-shire. Family's 1881 census entry in Kingussie and Insh here:

Alexander McPhee 60    
Mary McPhee 55 b. Madderty    
Sarah McPhee 22    
Augus McPhee 13
Duncan McPhee 9
Donald Douglas 7 Grandchild
Jessie Sim 4 Grandchild
Jamesina Anderson 1 Grandchild

Marriage likely just before 1855 and the start of official registration (can't see it post 1855). You could check this Mary's death reg to discount from your list.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk