Author Topic: Evacuee records  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evacuee records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 13:08 BST (UK) »

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help.
Best wishes
Paul

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 December 19 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for looking. Yes that is my Aunt Vera and on the record my Uncle Jim is also listed at 66 North Parade Aberystwyth. Parents though are Joseph Grisdale b 1904 and Mary Jane Rawlinson b 1905. (both from Liverpool)
It looks like my dad Joseph and his elder sister May Grisdale were placed separately as evacuee's and I have not yet located them.
Best wishes
Paul

Can't believe this Post and the Hand of Fate.

Once upon a Time ..... I moved from Liverpool in 1977 to Brecon with my Job then upon Retirement I moved to just outside Aberystwyth in 2016
I decided to Research the Building I now live in and its History
Spend many a day in Aberyswyth Town Library as well as the National Library for Wales there.
Aberystwyth Council Minutes for 1939 showed the Mansion was Seconded as an Isolation Hospital from 1st September 1939
A Florrie Hamer deposited a File with Photos of her Memories there.
They include Photos of Nurses with Dunkirk Veterans and RAF Pilots and 1941 Evacuees
I took Copies for my Research File about 2 years ago and only last week I thought I'd post the front and rear of the Evacuees Photos on the Facebook site for Liverpool Family History Society Forum and ask if any relative was Evacuated here.

But I couldn't remember which Photo Album I had saved them into on my External Harddrive.

Just Researching the Birth in 1857 of an Ancestor of the Owner of the Mansion caused me to require Help on Rootschat so I went into the Cardingshire Forum to make my Post and saw Post on Evacuees, had a quick look at it out of curiosity and couldn't believe the unusual Name Grisdale !

One the Photos I have is of a Nurse with an Infrant in a Basket on a Bicycle at Our Front Entrance and there are TWO Girls sitting on the Step

The Rear of the Photo dates it as 1941 and gives the Girls Names as
= Moira Cain and ? Grisedale  as Evacuees from Liverpool.

May born 1926 would have been about 12 which is the approx age of the Two Girls in the Photo

Also when I visited the National Library on the Hill out of Aberyswyth
The Helpful Researcher there stated her Father was a Policeman who met all the Trains arriving in 1941 with Evacuees and it was his job to rehouse them all.

Small World.

Send me Personal Message with your Email address if you would like a Copy of the Photo.

CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 December 19 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for replying. What a coincidence I have sent you a PM
Best wishes
Paul

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 December 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Update for everyone.
Sent Paul the Photo I had at our place in Aberystwyth in 1941 of two girls sitting on the step one of whom was possibly his Dads Sister May Grisdale we couldn't quite understand why she was separated from her Brother upon arrival in Aberystwyth and billetted in our place which was seconded as an Isolation Hospital from 1st Sep 1939

After Paul consulted with other Family Members someone recalled that young May contracted Diphtheria upon Evacuation to Aberystwyth and was therefore most likely to have been separated from her brother and become a Patient at our place the Isolation Hospital.  Sadly the 1939 Register pages I hold are nearly all Closed and Blacked out apart from the Matron and a few Nurses.

But I would like to think we have a result here and discovered who  ? Grisedale named on the back of the Photo which I got in Aberystwyth Library Archives when researching the History of our home.

It's May Grisdale.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 December 19 11:49 GMT (UK) »
James, Vera and May 's records are now showing as unredacted on FindMyPast, if you are using Ancestry I don't think they update the image database very often so it may be a while till they turn up there.
Joseph, Paul's Dad, still not showing up but there is still one redacted record in that household(your house).

and Moria Cain's record is also unredacted now, she was in the Isolation hospital at Pen-yr-angor.

It appears she didn't marry and died in 1981 (birth date on death index is 25 June 1929) There is a probate calendar entry for her which says she died 6th June 1981, address at time of death was 78 Warwick Rd., Mosscroft Estate, Huyton, Merseyside, no will but the admin was granted at Liverpool 03 Sept 1981 -calendar at this time does not give the name of who was granted admin.

There are 3 notices in the Liverpool Echo 09 June 1981, no funeral details given but saying she would be missed, at least one was from a brother and his wife. (can't post the detail as these people may still be alive)

Boo