Author Topic: Question for you regarding returning emigrants-Kilrush O’Dwyers  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Question for you regarding returning emigrants-Kilrush O’Dwyers
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Sinann, for the instructions.

It does not come up anything for 1901 Census?

Kind regards,

Tees
What doesn't come up anything?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 19:48 BST (UK) »
Example

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

I got it now. It appears there is no ODwyer in my searches for America but Dwyers, yes.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 19:58 BST (UK) »
The website is down now??

Will try again later on.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 September 19 10:47 BST (UK) »

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 September 19 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Sinann, for your tutorials and Maggsie about the finding ODwyers that was born in America in 1901 and 1911 Censuses.

I am starting to think maybe two children might have died in America before returning to Ireland. Or they did return to America but died there prior to 1911 census.

Without knowing where my ODwyers were in the US, I would try and get some baptism records on three children just to see where and when they were born.

Nevertheless, thank you for your help!!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 September 19 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootchatters,

Since you were so kind in giving me some advices and help with my couple Margaret Casey and Thomas Dwyer. I got their marriage certificate today.

I am attaching it to this post for you to view.

I have few questions to ask to make sure I do understand the information:

1) Does this mean they got married in Protestant Church? The name of the church is Kilkee?

2) Did the residence for Thomas Dwyer come out to Kilnobre, Moyarta? I think it is supposed to say Kilnoboe, Moyorta? Is that right?

3) Is it possible for me to get a copy of their license? If so, how did I do that?

Regarding Margaret Casey's father, I am pleased to say that the family is correct as I found out via her niece who came to live with my great grandfather in 1930 in the US. Finally I was able to make a connection between two families. It was her brother's daughter. It was through her brother I was able to find many records.

I am still working on finding baptism records. Since the marriage certificate stated that they got married in a Protestant Church, I think it means Margaret was baptised in Protestant church, not RC church like her siblings. I think her father is RC whereas her mother and her family is Protestant. I found her aunt's marriage stating she was Protestant and her mother was down as the bride's sister--she was under her married surname. It was in the Kilrush RC Church's marriage register book!

Yet, the couple had to marry again in the RC Church down in Carrignaholt two weeks later. Their marriage is in the register book there. Poor couple having to satisfy both sides of family.

I sincerely look forward to your take on their marriage certificate.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 September 19 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Dathai,

I do appreciate your quick findings of Bridget Maher and her family. Now I have some more information to work with.

I think  it is a bit odd that she is younger than her husband as I found her baptism record and she is much older than that. Ummm…

I thank you for confirming my death certs on Maurice and Jane to be correct ones.

I also managed to find death certs on Michael Dwyer and his wife Bridget in Moyorta. Oddly, Michael was down as a labourer which was informed by his wife. Yet, Bridget's death cert showed she was a wife of farmer, Michael Dwyer (nice bonus---usually they will only write down wife of an occupation).

I believe they are Thomas' parents, yes?

I think I found his baptism record but it is in 1840, not 1837/38 as stated by Thomas on his marriage cert. I stupidly forgot to note the name of church! It would be helpful to see if they have more children baptized there or not.

I think it is quite paternalistic of the British government to only put down the name of their fathers on marriage certs. Scottish government had a right idea and they do put down both parents, I am working off my memory.

Will resume researching more on this branch next week as I am taking a wee break.

Many thanks for your help with finding the records, Dathai! I always am impressed with your talent for finding the records so quickly!

Kind regards,

Tees