Author Topic: Rev. John Williams of Llaneglwys Breconshire 1767  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Rev. John Williams of Llaneglwys Breconshire 1767
« on: Tuesday 10 September 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for information about the Reverend John Williams of Llaneglwys Gwenddwr who was a "kinsman" of Elizabeth Williams of Felyn Newydd, Llandefalle. She bequeathed him fifty pounds in her will of 1767.
Llaneglwys is a hamlet approximately 7 miles north of Brecon, near Builth Wells. It is in the mountains between Llandefalle and Upper Chapel, Gwenddwr.
I think John Williams was a "dissenting minister" who had some contact with Howel Harris, who had previously married Anne Williams of the Skreen, Llandeilo Graban.
Also, can anyone confirm that the Rev. John Williams had a son William Williams who later became "Deacon Williams" of Licking Co, Ohio.
"Deacon Williams" probably accompanied a group of stalwarts from Wales (including Theophilus Rees) on an expedition to the Welsh Hills, Licking, Ohio  in 1795..
Deacon Williams married Isabella Pugh of Skreen Farm Llandeilo Graban in 1792, went to Ohio in 1795,  returned to Tre Ricket Gwenddwr about 1804,  and then emigrated with a large family to Welsh Hills Ohio in 1820
Some sources indicate that "Deacon Williams" was a son of the Rev. John Williams, but I have no reliable information on this..

Thanks once again for your help!!

Llanfi :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. John Williams of Llaneglwys Breconshire 1767
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 September 19 11:38 BST (UK) »
A notice in the Hereford Journal of 1st February 1792 appeals  for debtors and creditors of late Rev John Williams of Llaneglus, County of Brecon. Executrix Mrs F Bevan.

The National Library of Wales hold the will of John Williams clerk of Gwenddwr 1792 executrix Mrs Fortune Bevan.
You can view this online free of charge online.
I hope it might give you some clues.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 September 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave Jones

He is the one I am looking for!

Thank you very much for the references....

The Library of Wales Will is also very interesting. It connects him with the Williams of Skreen   Llandeilo Graban, through "his niece" Elizabeth, daughter of Howell Harris. (Anne Williams of Skreen married Howell Harris and had a daughter Elizabeth).

Fortune Williams a daughter of John Williams of Skreen married Samuel Beavan of Ty'nycwm and she is the main benefactor of John Williams will..

One of the will's witnesses is a William Williams, but there is no indication that he was related to John

my very best regards!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :)

Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Whinchat

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 May 22 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hello all, Are you still interested in Rev John Williams of Llaneglwys ? & his relations ? I've been reading your interesting posts from 3 years ago.

I am researching a Thomas Williams who married Elizabeth Hughes in Glasbury in 1781. At that time he was living in Llandefalle or Llandevalley and he & Elizabeth continued to live there, They had three children called John, Elizabeth and Bridget. But it seems Thomas had been married previously from which union he had a son Thomas - presumably born before 1781.
When Thomas Williams senr died in 1792 he left a lengthy will which I have seen via Ancestry which includes the following :
",,, my eldest son Thomas should come into poessession of the Llaneglwys estate in Breconshire to which he is entitled on the death of my uncle John Williams now of Llaneglwys, Clerk (ie Rev.)..."
and then:
"to my dear wife Elizabeth all my lands in Breconshire and Radnorshire .... of which I charge my capital messuage called the Skreen in Radnorshire with £2,000 to pay the interest on this sum annually to my brother Jenkin Williams..."

Meanwhile further charges to Skreen to support his three younger children of whom son John Williams (b 1783-5) was actually living in Skreen in 1815.

Finally Thomas mentions " I am entitled to the reversions & entitlements of the capital messuage called Willbrook in the parish of Peterchurch (?) on the decease of my mother Bridget Williams widow.... after her decease I intend the premises be released and conveyed to Rev John Hughes of Glasbury (brother of his wife) and Hugh Bold and for them to use it to discharge £2000 to my said brother Jenkin.

So sorry for length here, but 'my' Thomas Williams seems to fit squarly into the family you have been writing about . You were looking further back I know, but do you have records or knowledge of who Thomas' father was who married a Bridget and begat this Thomas and a Jenkin Williams probably in Llandefalle  ? and who presumkably was a brother of Rev John Williams of Llaneglwys ?

From the above Thomas clearly had Skreen as well which passed down into the Williams /Hughes descendants in Glasbury.

NB I don't live in Wales so sadly struggle with the place-names but I am working with the Glasbury historical society which includes looking at this family and its landholdings.

Best wishes Whinchat