Author Topic: Help Request for Transription of Will of Johannis Beche January 1563  (Read 791 times)

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Request for Transription of Will of Johannis Beche January 1563
« on: Friday 13 September 19 23:52 BST (UK) »
I have made a Beck / Becke / Beycke / Beche Family Tree going back to 1538 in Warwickshire and later they moved to Derbyshire and Staffordshire.

I found a will of a Johannis Beche probate 11/47 and before I made a copy I thought I saw a headline transcript mentioning Kingsbridge, Wawickshire being the place where my Beck Family Tree began.
I am struggling to read the text even though the copy is clear and sharp so help to transcribe would be appreciated.
The scan of the will is in my Google Drive and this will is about half way down the page in this link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17ixU2YRnP79SwND01JV5BTS-4gLHc1Z0

I also attached here a page from my Beck tree showing where my current research starts from.

Andy_T 
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Request for Transription of Will of Johannis Beche January 1563
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 September 19 01:50 BST (UK) »
In the name of god amen ^ secundo January 1563^ I John Beche sicke in body but p(er)fect in remembrance
thankes be to allmighty god doe make this my last will and testament in manner and forme following / first
I give and bequeath my soule to almighty god my body to be buyed within the parrishe where I nowe
inhabite and dwell etc Item inprimis I give unto the poore of the saide parrishe iijs iiijd / The rest
of my goodes my debtes paied my funeralls dischardged, I give unto Anne my wief whome I make my sole
executrix/ In witnes whereof I have sette my marke the daie and yere above mencioned / Allso I
give unto the Curat for his paynes two shillines J. B. his owne marke / J. B. his brother John Beche
marke p(er) me Will(ia)m ffarmer minister Santi Gregorj

Probate in Latin - I am no Latin expert. Hopefully a Latin expert will check it.
This is my parphrase of it:
Probate given at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury in London 15th day of November 1564 to Anne relict given administration and sworn

Unfortunately no place name given for where he lived.
You might be able to track down where St Gregory's was, with minister William Farmer.

Just for future reference, it's always easier and better to put an image of what you want transcribed on the post, rather than those who might help having to access another web page. There may be reasons why they can't, or don't want to, go to another site.
Use 'clipping tool' or 'snapshot' on the original image.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 September 19 02:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much indeed goldie61. Yes it would be good if someone could fully explain the Latin please?
I put the file on my Googledrive instead of a file attachment on Roots.chat as the image may be subject to copyright and did not want to infringe Roots admin rules (although I don't know what the rules are for this). If admin say it's okay to post the image directly here then I will gladly do so?   

My initial searching revealed there is an ancient church named St. Gregory's in Offchurch, Warwickshire. It's in South Warwickshire and 28 miles from Kingsbury by modern roads.
I only found one William (Willimus) Farmer on the CCEd (clergy of the Church of England) and he was briefly the Rector at the parish (church) of West Deeping, Lincolnshire in 1618. This date is 55 years later than the date of this Will of Johannis Beche, so he's unlikely to be the same minister. I think some records on the CCEd database are incomplete.

Andy_T

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 September 19 07:35 BST (UK) »
The probate is standard boilerplate with no extras.

Even the clerk couldn't be bothered completing most of the statements.

As goldie has said, the person sworn is Anne, described as Relict & executrix.  Goldie has given the date.

The rest is just the name of the ecclesiastical official who heard the matter in London - one Master Walter Haddon - and standard statements regarding making a good & true and full & true account.

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 September 19 09:18 BST (UK) »
Thank You horselydown86

There was another Saint Gregory, By Saint Paul, London (now demolished) and Anne Fletcher married a John Beche at that church on 26 Oct 1563.

The John Beche probate is dated 15th November, 1564. The only burial I found so far is for a John Becke around that time was on 24th November, 1564 at the parish of St. Bartholomew' in Wednesbury, Staffordshire.
Wednesbury is 21 miles from Kingsbury, Warwickshire by modern roads.

This John Beche / Becke is not the same person on my family tree slide but he may have been a relative, maybe a cousin.

Andy_T

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 September 19 17:48 BST (UK) »
The John Beche probate is dated 15th November, 1564. The only burial I found so far is for a John Becke around that time was on 24th November, 1564 at the parish of St. Bartholomew' in Wednesbury, Staffordshire.

The John Beche who wrote his will on 2 January 1563/64 (proved 15 November 1564) is probably the John Beche, housholder, who was buried on 24 January 1563/64 at St Gregory by St Paul, London.

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 September 19 01:32 BST (UK) »
Thank You very much Bookbox
I saw a record of a marriage to Anne Fletcher in October 1563 at St. Gregory's By St. Pauls, London but not the burial you mention. could you please post a link to this record or PM me?

Andy_T

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 September 19 20:09 BST (UK) »
Got it Bookbox and Thanks Again.
I agree with you that this burial at St. Gregory By St. Paul is probably the same John Beche whose will was transcribed for me here on Roots Chat.

Bye the way it's remarkable that this record (and others) survived the 1666 Great Fire of London which damaged the Church of St. Gregory By St. Paul so badly that it was later demolished.

Andy_T