Author Topic: Bolton upon Dearne baptism 1651  (Read 405 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Bolton upon Dearne baptism 1651
« on: Saturday 14 September 19 16:13 BST (UK) »
I've been struggling with a very indistinct baptism entry, and I was wondering if anyone might be able to work some advanced wizardry and make anything out of it, please.

The entry is from Bolton upon Dearne, WRY, dated 26 Oct 1651, and is for a child of Godfrey Bingley. There are two sets of register images at FindMyPast: image (a) below is from the first, where it's part of image 28 of 43 (b) is from the second (27 of 42), and (c) gives a bit of context.

Unfortunately there's no BT to check against. A transcript was made in the 1940s (copy at Society of Genealogists) but the compiler couldn't read the name. Doncaster Archives have looked at the original under UV light and come up with a possible name, but it's not what I was hoping it might be.

So can anyone here manipulate it enough to make a suggestion, please?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bolton upon Dearne baptism 1651
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 September 19 16:18 BST (UK) »
Which word is the name please?  Or the word you think is the name?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 September 19 16:22 BST (UK) »
The one at the start of the line, and judging by the other entries, it could start quite close to the edge of the page.

All I've been able to do is work backwards from 'Godfrey Bingley'. There might be a 'son' or 'daughter' in there too, but even that's unclear.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline hindriksdottir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
Did you sort this out Arthur? Is it the name that looks like Samuel Osborne, or do I have the wrong part?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 May 21 13:25 BST (UK) »
No, I didn't get any further with this. I know what I hope it is (ie the name of a family member whose baptism I haven't found, and who should have been baptised around then), but I'd really like a bit more than that.

The entry in question is more or less in the middle of the largest (3rd) extract. Scroll to the right to see the date (26 October), then work back along the line till your eyes hurt and you wonder why you ever started doing family history.  ;D ::) Once you've located it that way, you might be able to make it out on the smaller extracts.

I've tried adjusting the image but it didn't help much, but I'd wondered if anyone with better skills and/or software might get something slightly legible out of it.