Author Topic: Harry Bradbury  (Read 679 times)

Offline Jenflem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harry Bradbury
« on: Saturday 14 September 19 17:56 BST (UK) »
I have just come across my great-grandfather's service record on Ancestry after many years of searching. It seems rather interesting and would like to know what others make of it, and what info anyone else can glean from it that I might have missed.

His name was Harry Bradbury, and he was born in Manchester around June/July 1898, however has given a year of birth of 1896, and enlisted underage - he was only 17, in August 1915 when he joined. He was living with his mother Lilly Bradbury at 9 Tilt Street, Miles Platting, Manchester at that point and was working as a carter. It looks like he was enlisted in the 27th (reserve) Battalion of the Manchester Regiment, however on the same page it lists him as being in the 22nd (service) Battalion of the Manchester Regiment. His regimental number is listed as 25633 I believe. Can anyone explain the two battalions on his initial sign up sheet? It seems after joining on 30th August 1915, he wasn't actually posted (BEF) until June the following year - is that not quite a long time at that point?

He was an infantry soldier from what I'm reading - from what I know of his regiment (22nd Manchester) he would have pretty much have arrived in France and been straight into the Battle of the Somme, I think that regiment was involved in some quite big actions during that time? In November, it says he was transferred to the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, 8th Battalion, which I found surprising and a bit confusing - why would this be? Were they not an Irish regiment? His luck seems to get worse from there, as he's listed as very soon after transfer having 'ICT of the buttock', followed by bladder irritation, ecthyma of the groin (a severe ulcerative skin infection, I think), and then repeated urinary incontinence, which suggests to me his skin infections had led to severe urinary infection - this is before and whilst he's 18 years old, poor kid. I can't tell how much time he spent in hospital and how much time he was actually with his regiment in the field - hoping somebody can help with this - but it looks like eventually he's deemed too unwell to serve on the frontline as infantry, and he's transferred to the labour corps (727 Company) in July 17, around his 19th birthday, and he remains with them for the rest of the war - I think it's saying 'Infy rates of pay', so does that mean he continued to get paid as an infantry soldier after transfer? I take it that was a higher rate, was it much more? Was that usual when men were transferred from infantry to labour corps due to poor health? His new regimental number was 478831.

On his demob sheet it's got his actual correct year of birth listed, which surprised me, and has his medical category listed as BII (B2?) - he was A1 when he joined. I feel like his pension records would be really interesting, but can't find them anywhere - anyone able to do better? Unfortunately this man, after marrying my great-grandma in 1924 (Doris Eckersall) in Hyde, Cheshire, and having my grandma Elsie Bradbury in 1925, disappeared and I have been unable to trace him after years of searching (not on 1939 register, passenger lists for emigrating etc). So any help to know anything else about him, no matter how small, would be fantastic.

Apologies for the long post!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Bradbury
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 September 19 18:03 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat.

Do you have his birth certificate as having his exact date of birth may help us in the search.  I can't see a Manchester area birth reg for a Harry Bradbury June/July 1898
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jenflem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 September 19 18:18 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes. He was born Harry Bleasdale, to Thomas Greaves Bleasdale and Lilly Dean. Thomas died in 1911, Lilly remarried a John Bradbury and Harry took his step-fathers surname. I have his baptism record but not his birth certificate - Harry Bleasdale born 1898 Jul-Aug-Sept Prestwich is the most likely and I'll order it - Volume: 8d,  Page: 375.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 September 19 18:20 BST (UK) »
Just confirming from the GRO index
BLEASDALE, HARRY     mmn DEAN 
1898  Sept Quarter in PRESTWICH 
Volume 08D  Page 375
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jenflem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 September 19 18:24 BST (UK) »
Yep, that's the one. I have just ordered a PDF copy of it. Can't believe I haven't before!

Offline Jenflem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 September 19 18:41 BST (UK) »
I now can't find Harry on the Service Medal and Award Rolls, which is odd. I have his regimental number, his regiment, have searched with a variety of combinations and can't find it. He must be there though, surely?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 September 19 19:57 BST (UK) »
 He was enlisted into the 27th (Reserve) Battalion for training and then later service overseas with the 22nd Battalion.

He first joined the reserve battalion for training in August 1915 when he signed up.  He was posted after training to 22 Bn overseas in Jun 1916.  He did have a short period of absence during that time.  Perhaps his true age was discovered (see his demob sheet) and thus he was not old enough to go overseas right away.

His transfer to 8 Inniskillings would simply have been because they needed men at the time.  His place of birth played no part.

ICT is inflamed connective tissue - you got that.

You could look at the relevant war diaries to see what he was doing when with the Manchesters:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053319 will cover to Sep 16 and 8 Skins:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352883.  There is no war diary for 727 Company (quite normal for the Labour Corps)

The rate of pay for a private infantry soldier was 1 shilling a day.  I haven't been able to discover whether the Labour Corps rates were higher or lower.  His medical record is good evidence of why he was transferred.

The papers you are looking at serve as his discharge documents.

Should have covered it all?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jenflem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi again folks,

Couple of further questions that weren’t addressed in previous reply:

Is there any way of finding his pension record? I have only found his service record thus far

I can’t find him on the medal rolls, but he should be on there as it says on his service record he received War Medal and Victory Medal, with ‘three blue chevrons’

Is it worth getting in touch with the army for more information on him? Will they be likely to have anything? There should be records if he was getting a war pension, surely?

Going by his service record (particularly the info on his casualty sheet), would you agree he was posted to France on 2.6.16, arriving at Etaples on 3.6.16, and then joined his regiment in the field on the 23.6.16? There’s a comment I can’t quite understand with a date of 2.7.16 as well. Does it appear that he was with 22nd Manchesters from his arrival in France until he was transferred to the 8th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers on 17.11.16? I’m trying to confirm that he would have been with the Manchesters on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, 1.7.16, when they lost more than half the regiment.

Is there any way of working out or finding out what company etc he was in within the Manchesters?

Any advice or info very much appreciated!

Date of birth confirmed as 7th of August 1898 (as Harry Bleasdale)

Link to service record: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1219&h=135375&ssrc=pt&tid=19674458&pid=837124706&usePUB=true

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 14:44 BST (UK) »
He did not get a pension.  On his record you will see that he certifies that does not claim to be suffering from any disability.  No disability = no pension.  There can sometimes be a later claim but I see no evidence of that

His medal card is here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1438945

He appears on the Labour Corps medal roll because that was his last regiment/corps.  This is on Ancestry https://www.rootschat.com/links/01prz/

The 2.7 16 is the date of extraction of that piece of information from his Army Form B 103 (the Service and Casualty form)

You have the sequence of regiments right.  Unless he is named in the war diary (the longest of long shots) there isn't any way of knowing which company he was in and it would be fair to assume he was one of the lucky ones on 1 July 1916

The chevrons are his overseas service stripes, three full years from Jun 1916, he was discharged in May 1919 so the last 11 months didn't earn a stripe..  These are not listed on any rolls.

You have all there is in terms of records
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia