Author Topic: Gender choices for the 2021 census  (Read 7060 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Gender choices for the 2021 census
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 September 19 13:33 BST (UK) »
Regorian, hello, I think you misunderstood my comment, or I wasn't clear. I wasn't apportioning any sort of blame on the lack of respect for authority, and certainly not in any sort of ethnic direction.

I just think so many people in all walks of life, at least in Britain, if not across Europe have become so used to defying authority that it has become an almost everyday occurrence. I grew up respecting authority and being told what to do. Perhaps that makes me a sheep.

I was just saying that asking a simple question on a census form, about ethnicity or gender has become an absolute nest of vipers.

Martin

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 September 19 13:40 BST (UK) »
I for one am certainly not bigoted in any way shape or form.
My initial comment was merely about the fact that the Australian government now refers to marital status as "partnered". A very annoying "gender neutral" term in my opinion.
As far as I am concerned, I am married.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 September 19 13:50 BST (UK) »
I understand Martin. If I had been alive during the Civil War, despite admiring Oliver Cromwell, I would have been a Royalist.

Similarly, Pinefamily I agree.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 September 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
I admire John Cooke more than Cromwell. While many others wanted summary execution of the king, Cooke insisted on a fair trial. Pity he didn't get the same
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 September 19 14:03 BST (UK) »
Partnered sounds truly horrendous.  Does that also apply to polygamous entities?

I prefer chatelaine, from the French word for a keeper of the castle, but my wife-like-substitute person objects to it.

Martin

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 September 19 14:09 BST (UK) »

As to gender/sex. There are only two sexes, male and female. It's immutable. There is no such thing as sex change. However, some males and a lesser number of females identify with the opposite sex/gender, always have done. So, where's the harm except for small minded bigots.

It would be fine, it they didn't foist it on everyone, and just got on with their lives.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 September 19 14:21 BST (UK) »
I have Australian relatives, both from my paternal line and through my grandmother.

If you look up the New South Wales Mounted Police website, the only old photo is of my grandmothers half brother John, same father, different mother, she dying in childbirth 1866. Child, a daughter survived. John became Superintendant.

Also, a married daughter of my grandfathers older brother, Thomas Henry, a Met. policeman. Must be deceased by now. Photo is as a volunteer in Australian Olympics 2000.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 September 19 15:08 BST (UK) »
Typical Daily Mail article. Your sex isn't a matter of identity, it is how you physically present. Your gender is another matter.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 September 19 16:57 BST (UK) »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7464527/Experts-warn-new-trans-friendly-guidelines-wreck-crucial-plans-Britains-future.html

What a pathetic article from a dreadful excuse for a newspaper.
According to the ONS, 2% of the UK population identify as a minority gender. How on earth is this going to "run the risk of affecting vital data regarding the population the Government needs to plan for the future." Presumably there are roughly equal numbers of trans men and trans women anyway.
Of course, that isn't really why they published the article - it was just to stoke up indignation among their target audience and sell papers.