Author Topic: Isaac Andrew, great Grandfather missing after Feb 1871 Need to bring him home.  (Read 1271 times)

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
After 21 years searching for my missing Great Grandfather Isaac Andrew 1843-???? i thought i might try on this web-site to see if anyone else can find him.
Youngest son of 10 children to Richard Andrew and Anne Brown, born 24/Dec/1843 Holy Trinity, Hull. Married Esther Ann Harper 27th Aug 1863, Holy Trinity, Hull.
Last confirmed evidence of him being alive was in 09 Feb 1871, when a prostitute Honora Day was taken to court for stealing a half sovereign from him in Ropery Street, Hull.  Isaac failed to appear in court and the case withdrawn
In the census of 02 April 1871 Isaac can be found nowhere in England, their are other Isaac's but not born in Hull.

In 1868 He lost his wife Esther Ann Andrew and his daughter also Esther Ann in childbirth. He also lost his father Richard in 1866 and his next oldest brother Joseph Jarvis Andrew also 1866.

In the 1871 census one his two children Barbara Ann Andrew 1864-1939 was living with her aged grandparents George & Barbara Harper, aged 7yrs, in Hull, whilst the youngest child, my Grandfather,  Joseph Jarvis Andrew 1866-1924 was living with his Grandmother and Uncle, John Wilkinson Andrew, Painter, in Hallgate, Cottingham, aged 4yrs, which was the village, where both children ended up.  So the two children had been split up very quickly, in the space of seven weeks, which made me slightly suspicious.  Something must have happened for them to end up being split up, i know not what.

Family rumor has it that Isaac left for the USA, he supposedly  sent 2 letters home, one of them to say he would be arriving home in 1881, to take the two children back with him, but they would not go??? And we all know about family rumor!!
I would not have thought they would have been able to refuse him, if, he did come back then, at this time, Joseph was an apprenticed painter with his uncle in Cottingham and Barbara was a House Servant. It just seems as though he disappeared between 09/2/1871 and 02/04/1871.

Honora Day who was supposed to have stolen Isaac's Half Sovereign, seems to have been a bit of a criminal.

In Oct 1868 she was sent to Prison for assaulting and causing the death of a man, John Fell, in her house down Waterhouse Lane, he accused her of picking his pocket for a sovereign, she got angry with him and hit him on the head with a poker and he was found dead later in his home.  She got 14 months in in Prison
7/10/1870 Stealing a watch, Prosecutor failed to appear charge withdrawn,
31/03/1871, Importuning men, 14 days Hard Labour,
19/05/1871 Drunk & Disorderly, 50 days in Prison.

Maybe i will find nothing else about Isaac, after 21yrs i will not give up the search,

Many thanks,
gogogadgetlegs (Phil)
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Andrew, great Grandfather missing after Feb 1871 Need to bring him home.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 September 19 15:39 BST (UK) »
That 1874 New Jersey marriage looks good - the parents names tally, and the original image shows that he was a carpenter.

Previous thread:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=457866.0
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Andrew, great Grandfather missing after Feb 1871 Need to bring him home.
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 September 19 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Candrjm & ShaunJ,
Had a look at this marriage and even though this Isaac has the same parents, record says he was born in Cornwall not Hull.
I did find the Immigration record along time ago for Isaac in 1879, Labourer, and  traced this person back to being born in Lancashire.
Sometimes i feel like i am knocking my head against a brick wall, with Isaac.
gogogadgetlegs
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
o

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 September 19 10:37 BST (UK) »
Had a look at this marriage and even though this Isaac has the same parents, record says he was born in Cornwall not Hull.

That's strange. The records I looked at (registers of the First Presbyterian Church in Jersey City) do not record a place of birth as far as I can see.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 September 19 10:46 BST (UK) »
I take it that you have already exhausted the possibilities of USA 1880 census returns Phil?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 September 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
Please accept my apologies, i did not see that the IGI had suggested a family tree, i did not look close enough.
Well i must say Shaun that this record does look good, as you say parents names are correct, marriage status is correct.  Obviously he arrived between 1871-1874.
The record i went to see did not let me see the original record so only seeing a transcription, Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey.
Thank you so much, now going to try to find him in a census record.
Best,
Phil
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
o

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 September 19 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol, No i have only just checked out the marriage, so i have not as yet had a chance to check this out,
Best,
Phil
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
o

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 September 19 11:25 BST (UK) »
Candrjm
Yes that immigration record could very well be him, may have to try to find him in 1871 census somewhere,
Thanx, Phil
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
o