Author Topic: Stirling Maternity Home, 1958  (Read 1239 times)

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
  • At least one of my ancestors was glamorous!
    • View Profile
Re: Stirling Maternity Home, 1958
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
My husband was born in Airthrey Castle, and his birth certificate simply says Maternity Home, Stirling.

interesting - I guess we may never know where my lady was born!
Wilson in the Lancaster area
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Nunn in Norfolk and Co Durham
Smith in Glasgow
Haig in Peebles/Edinburgh
Also Nelson, Gardener, Garnett, Blair, Coleman, Aaronson and many more as the branches expand!

Census info is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 21:25 BST (UK) »
My understanding is that maternity services for Stirling area were at Stirling Royal Infirmary (opened 1928) and these were complemented by facility at Airthrey castle (in Bridge of Allan) from 1941 to 1967 (when Airthrey Castle became part of University of Stirling and SRI had new expanded maternity unit.)
My wife was born at Airthrey Castle in 1955 and her birth cert gives Airthrey Castle Hospital, Bridge of Allan as place of birth. Her mother was living in Killin at that time. I understand Killin was still being served by SRI until maternity transferred to Forth Valley Hospital in Larbert a few years ago.

Sandy

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 00:03 BST (UK) »
I was born at the Maternity Home, Stirling in 1953. I always understood it was part of Stirling Royal Infirmary.

This may help...

"Further Reading: N. Reid,  ‘Airthrey Castle Maternity Hospital 1939-1948’, and E. Rose ‘Airthrey Castle Maternity Hospital 1948-1969’ in Report of Proceedings of the Society of the Scottish History of Medicine, 1988-9, pp.14-17"

Found here;

https://historic-hospitals.com/2015/04/27/airthrey-castle-maternity-hospital/

And...

"However, it had closed by 1969 when the new maternity unit opened at Stirling Royal Infirmary"

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"