Author Topic: Leatheringham Parish records St Marys'  (Read 606 times)

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
Leatheringham Parish records St Marys'
« on: Sunday 15 September 19 23:50 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Robert Britton who was born in Leatheringham in 1803 (according to various census records in subsequent years).

I am particularly interested in his parents and any siblings he may have had.  He married in Hoo at St Eustace and both he and his wife Charlotte are buried there. They had a number of children who all moved to London during the mid 1800 no doubt due to the decline in the agricultural industry and the industrial revolution.

TIA

Alan Britton NZ
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leatheringham Parish records St Marys'
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan

Just for the record, Robert Britton married Charlotte Smith at Easton (not Hoo) in 1827. They were at Charsfield in 1828 for the baptism of their son Robert Britton but when son Thomas Briton was christened at Monewden in 1830 they were living at Hoo, where daughter Hannah Britten was baptized in 1832.

The Suffolk Family History Society's baptism CDs reveal no sign of Robert anywhere in the vicinity of Letheringham circa 1803. Hannah Britten (born c.1806; married James Neeve at Easton 1826; buried there 1832) is equally absent from those transcripts, adding even greater weight to the persuasive evidence presented by Annette in 2012 (https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=593439.msg4733035#msg4733035).

It seems more than likely that the mother of both Hannah and Robert was Sarah (c.1784-1866), a daughter of Thomas and Susan Britten or Britton, who was baptized at Henley in 1784 and married Samuel Capon of Easton at Letheringham in 1810. In the 1851 census Sarah (born at "Henlow") and Samuel were sharing their home at Easton with her son-in-law James Neeve and two of his children. She was still at Easton in 1861, with her grandson Robert Neeve, who was christened in 1826 as Robert Capon Neeve (son of James Neeve and Hannah née Britten).

David

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 15:24 BST (UK) »
Crikey - 7 years ago!   Yes, I see I did a long reply which was never even acknowledged by any comment.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bevo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 September 19 16:55 BST (UK) »

The Bruisyard Parish has :

Order to maintain a male child born to Sarah Britton, singlewoman 22 Feb. 1804

FC 118/G3/15  "from National Archives)

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 12:28 BST (UK) »
The bastardy order cited by bevo is at the SRO in Ipswich. Although archived with the records of Bruisyard, it makes no mention of that parish and was in fact issued at the request of the churchwardens and overseers of Letheringham.

It names labourer Robert Spall of Letheringham as the father of Sarah Britton's male child who was born in Letheringham on 24 Jan. 1804.

David