Author Topic: Did my great GM lie to six children their father was dead?  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Did my great GM lie to six children their father was dead?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 September 19 19:52 BST (UK) »
Craclyn, Jim, Lizzie, thank you.  I will start renting out wall-flies.

Jim, that is a very good point.  She could have just left it blank.  BUT, she did give his (former?) profession.  Why?

An aside, I have a cousin who has his two given names in the wrong order, as his father went to the pub before going to the Registrar, and got mixed up.  He is now always known by his middle name, which should have been his first name.  I've known him 50 years and only just found out.

Martin

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 16 September 19 20:46 BST (UK) »

An aside, I have a cousin who has his two given names in the wrong order, as his father went to the pub before going to the Registrar, and got mixed up.  He is now always known by his middle name, which should have been his first name.  I've known him 50 years and only just found out.

Martin

As an aside to your aside - my mother was an identical twin. Their father was sent off to register them as Martha and Mabel, but he also stopped off at the pub to wet their heads. At some point he either forgot what he was supposed to call them, or decided he didn't like the names, so registered them as Joan and Vera, My mother always said she was eternally grateful that he had that second or third pint!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Did my great GM lie to six children that their father was dead?
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 September 19 22:37 BST (UK) »
Groom, that is a great story.  I have never been totally at ease as a Martin.  When I was 13, there were three of us in my class, and we all had bank managers for fathers.

Martin

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 September 19 23:43 BST (UK) »
Lizzie I long puzzled over some certificates that had my great grandmothers maiden name as Aust.  Eventually I found that her older sister also came out to Australia and lived in the same area, after she had married a Mr Aust.  So transcription errors included she has Heale, Hale, Hales, Aust and Anst as maiden names.

As for name changes groom, a friend was to be called Elizabeth.  On the way to register it her father decided that it would be shortened as his other three children were so named her Betty.  That’s fine, we call her Bet.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 08:44 BST (UK) »
As for name changes groom

I did a similar thing.  When I had my children many moons ago, women stayed in the maternity homes for up to 10 days (at least we got a good rest before going home with a new baby), and the Registrar used to go to the maternity home so we could register the birth of our babies.  My husband and I had decided on Julian as a name for our 3rd son (first Neil, 2nd Guy) but as I stood outside the office where the Registrar was, I just thought "I can't call this baby Julian, I'm going to call him Howard" so that's what I did.  Fortunately, my husband was quite happy and so is Howard.  ::)  Sorry to any Julians out there but our son would definitely not suited the name Julian.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
Martin, had your great grandmother reverted to the surname Thompson when she registered your grandfather's birth?
Ray

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 15:05 BST (UK) »
How about this for misinformation on certificates, if you can work it out.

AL marries OB   They separate a couple of years later, no divorce.

HW marries LH who is later committed to asylum, no divorce.

HW then sets up home with OB and they have two children, both registered by the mother as if she and HW were married, all father’s details correct for HW except the surname of which only the initial W was true.

AL marries EO declaring himself a bachelor, they then emigrate. I don’t know if EO knew her marriage was bigamous.

Years later when HW dies, he leaves everything to OB but names her as widow of AW using the fictitious surname but her real husband’s forename.

This took some unraveling as you can imagine.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.