Author Topic: annie & Neil Grant boston mass  (Read 735 times)

Offline advent

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
annie & Neil Grant boston mass
« on: Monday 16 September 19 22:23 BST (UK) »
I am tracing the life of Annie Lafferty born glengad malin 1873. Father Daniel-mother Anne McLaughlin

Cant find a marriage record in Ireland for Annie. I noted a marriage record from Massachuttess from 1901 wherby a Annie lafferty married Neil Grant. On this record it is recorded that her father is Daniel which would be correct but the mother of annie is named as Anne Doherty when in fact the maiden name of Annies mother is McLaughlin. Would it be possible that this is Annie I am seeking with maiden name of mother being error on marriage cert. On the census records she states emigration year (1897). I cant find any emigration or death records for annie. I have searched Irish birth records for the period 1871/78 but no Annie with mother name (Doherty) Any clues anyone?

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: annie & Neil Grant boston mass
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 00:36 BST (UK) »
I am tracing the life of Annie Lafferty born glengad malin 1873. Father Daniel-mother Anne McLaughlin

Cant find a marriage record in Ireland for Annie. I noted a marriage record from Massachuttess from 1901 wherby a Annie lafferty married Neil Grant. On this record it is recorded that her father is Daniel which would be correct but the mother of annie is named as Anne Doherty when in fact the maiden name of Annies mother is McLaughlin. Would it be possible that this is Annie I am seeking with maiden name of mother being error on marriage cert. On the census records she states emigration year (1897). I cant find any emigration or death records for annie. I have searched Irish birth records for the period 1871/78 but no Annie with mother name (Doherty) Any clues anyone?
Hello have done some searches and arrived at the following information:-
I suspect the marriage you found to Grant could be correct with incorrect name for Annies mother recorded.
I found a ship record for a Annie Lafferty b 1893 Glentaugher (same place as your Annie born on her birth record 1873) Dept Londonderry Arrival Boston 16th Sept 1913 Ship Parisian Going to her Uncle William Grant (possibly Neil Grant) residing at 221 East Eagle St E Boston MA. This Annie could be niece of your Annie.
I found another ship record for Annie Lafferty b 1873 Arriving 27 August 1892 Boston Ship Cephalonia no further detail on record.
Also found a birth for a Mary Ellen Grant 25th May 1904 Father Neil Grant Mother Annie Lafferty address 3 Scott Place Boston.
I also noticed on various censuses for the family of Grant some of their children were named Daniel and Anne possibly after Annies Parents.  Hope this information helps

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 12:43 BST (UK) »
I found another ship record for Annie Lafferty b 1873 Arriving 27 August 1892 Boston Ship Cephalonia no further detail on record.

Her destination was Massachusetts. Other passengers on the page said New Hampshire and Rhode Island. On the first page of the manifest someone was going to Michigan. So it didn't refer to the port of entry.  - Just a bit more evidence leaning toward this lady settling in Boston, that's all.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 13:10 BST (UK) »
Here are some links to the censuses ballydw found. I put in a little information but not all.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2KY-QJ6

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MFML-YKR

42 Belfort Street, Dorchester

Neil 55
Annie 55
Mary 25
Catherine 24
John A S 22
Daniel 20
Esther 17
Agnes 15
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XQRC-FJQ

42 Belfort Street, Dorchester, were there in 1935
daughter Esther Wagner, teacher in household
A Wagner family at 38 Belfort
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K4VM-Y8R

This might be her, if she died at the home of a son or daughter. Otherwise, why wouldn't she have died in Dorchester or farther south, which is the way most people move when they leave Boston -- outward, not across town.

Name:    Annie Grant
Death Date:    1952
Death Place:    Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Index Volume Number:    114

Posting it just in case. I didn't find Neil, but that's not saying he isn't there.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 13:43 BST (UK) »
They both appear to be alive and well in 1951/52

1951 Boston City Directory
Neal (Annie) Grant oiler, resides at 135 Grampian Way, Dorchester

Neal (Annie) Grant oiler, resides at 135 Grampian Way, Dorchester

1953 no G listings - pages missing

1954 no Neil, probably no Annie

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 14:59 BST (UK) »

This might be her, if she died at the home of a son or daughter. Otherwise, why wouldn't she have died in Dorchester or farther south, which is the way most people move when they leave Boston -- outward, not across town.

Name:    Annie Grant
Death Date:    1952
Death Place:    Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Index Volume Number:    114

The Boston Globe
Boston, Massachusetts
Friday, February 01, 1952 - Page 24

Death Notice: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36059204/annie_grantobit/