Author Topic: Hook - Mauritius  (Read 1767 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hook - Mauritius
« on: Monday 16 September 19 23:23 BST (UK) »
Am helping a friend research his family.  His father Desire Regis (or Regis Desire) Hook (deceased) was born approx 1937 in Beau Bassin Plaines Wilhems Mauritius. Think his father was Walter.  That is all we know at present.  He did marry in Mauritius, lady surname Amiran but children born UK from 1965 to 1970.  Any help locating any Hook's in Mauritius welcome - Thanks  Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hook - Mauritius
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 September 19 23:57 BST (UK) »
Did he become Reginald Dennis Hook?   If so - he was born 29.6.1936 according to his death reg
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 09:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry Carole, should have said that he died in the UK at St Albans in 2008:

Name   
Mr Desire Regis Hook
Birth:  1940
Death:  25/01/2008
Residence: Saint Albans Hertfordshire England

He and his wife Rosemary came to UK shortly before 1965 and had 3 children, my friend being one of the three.
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline sophell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 November 19 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray,

My mother's maiden name is Hook from Mauritius. Regis was her cousin. My grandfather was Walter's brother Edgar Louis Hook. Regis has two sisters living in Mauritius. Haydee Hope is his younger sister and we can be in correspondence with her.

Let me know if you require any further information.

Regards
Sophie

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 November 19 21:29 GMT (UK) »
OH wow Sophie, what a great reply, thanks so much. I think I may see Michael (Regis son) tomorrow and will get back to you real soon. I love this rootschat!!!

Ray

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 November 19 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Sophie, have messaged Michael but in the meantime do you have any further information regarding family history of Walter and your grandfather Edgar Louis, parents, grandparents etc.  The Hook name assumes to me that they probably came from the UK (Michael believes this) do you have anything going back that far?

Have managed find one sister of Regis - Marie Gladys Jacqueline who married Raphael Malherbe, but that is all I have found so far - and that was just the marriage in 1959.

Ray

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Sophie, did you get my pm with Michael Hook's email address?

Offline rolnad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 December 19 06:30 GMT (UK) »
I am an uncle of Sophie and my wife's maiden name is Hook. I have been researching the Hook family as well and would be happy to share notes. My wife remembers 5 brothers of Walter
Roland

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 December 19 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roland, really nice to hear from you. I am afraid the sharing will be one way traffic at this stage, the information we have is very sparse. To recap I started this tree for a friend Michael Hook. His father was Desire Regis Hook (mother Rosemary). Desire and Rosemary came to the UK around 1960 and had 3 children (2 girls, 1 boy). Michael knew that his grandfathers name was Walter Hook and he was a policeman in Mauritius.

I did find the marriage of Michael's fathers sister Marie Gladys Jacqueline Hook who married a Raphael Malherbe in 1959 in Mauritius but that is all we have at present.

I know that it is possible to get information from Mauritius via the Registrar of Civil Status but we first require some more specific information regarding full names and ages of of grandparents, etc. Also being in the UK the need for such information is more vital to avoid any lengthy delays or explanations with the Registrar Office (I have made an initial enquiry and had a response).

If you make another posting then I will be able to PM you and provide Michael's email address.

Ray