Author Topic: kenya and Goa india  (Read 437 times)

Offline davethepost

• RootsChat Extra
  • If it's too loud, you're too OLD!!!
    • View Profile
kenya and Goa india
« on: Wednesday 18 September 19 23:22 BST (UK) »
hi, I am helping a friend to get started on his tree. No problem on his fathers side, but his Mother was born in Kenya and her parents/grandparents were from Goa in India and were Catholics with Portuguese names. Any tips on even where to start.

Thanks Dave
Killick - London and jersey and kent
Lake - Norfolk (kings lynn and district)
Burton - Northants
Asher - Northants and bedford shire
Davis - Dorset and London

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: kenya and Goa india
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 September 19 03:22 BST (UK) »
Try Google and enter

Goa Genealogy

Or try Catholic records in any of these countries.

Most records in many of these counties exist for expatriates only. The best records I have seen in this area are from Ceylon which is a little more inclusive.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: kenya and Goa india
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 September 19 09:04 BST (UK) »
The Kenya Gazette (similar in function to the London Gazette) is digitised and online: might be worth a search using "Kenya Gazette" as one of the search terms. If no joy with your usual search engine, do try another, you never know.
As far as I know newspapers aren't digitised; many issues, but not all, of the Standard are in the British Library collection, but not indexed, so you really would be looking for a needle in many haystacks.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan