Author Topic: MURTAGH FAMILY – JAMES MURTAGH – LURGAN/COOLOCK, ARMAGH  (Read 889 times)

Offline currykid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MURTAGH FAMILY – JAMES MURTAGH – LURGAN/COOLOCK, ARMAGH
« on: Thursday 19 September 19 05:25 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

MURTAGH FAMILY – JAMES MURTAGH – LURGAN/COOLOCK, ARMAGH

I am seeking assistance in finding information regarding James Murtagh and family prior to his arrival in Australia.  Over time I have asked for assistance on other genealogy sites, but this family seems to be a little ‘tricky’ as none of the leads have helped me as yet.

The Murtagh Family have been my brick wall in my family history search for a long time.  I have traced much information after their arrival in Australia, but I have had no success in tracing family in Ireland. Below, I have tried to give as much information as possible as I do not wish a waste anyone’s precious time.

It would be wonderful to have a marriage date for James Murtagh's parents or parts of the family, a baptismal record or names of some of his siblings or cousins etc. 

I have some information of my McKeone/McKeon/McKeown, Gilogly/Gillogley, Cane/Kennedy families from Antrim.  I have found so many different spellings! 

I have accomplished considerable research of James Murtagh in Australia.  I just feel I have a hole in my research of the Murtagh family in Ireland.  On James Murtagh’s headstone in Sydney, New South Wales, it states he was from County Armagh.  ‘Murtagh’ is the spelling on documentation in Australia.  I do not know if it has been changed during the family’s arrival.
I wrote to the Parish of St Francis Street. The reply I received was,’ Unfortunately, we would not have records for people who lived the 'other side of the Liffey' - the Coolock area is on the north side and we are located on the south side.’ My other inquiry was to St Brendan’s, Coolock.  The message I received stated the records began in 1879, I require records prior to this date.  I have also searched the NLI with no success. Any leads to research or information would be most welcome.

Known information is as follows: 

JAMES MURTAGH
Born: c 1840 – 1844 Lurgan, County Armagh, Ireland,  Parents: James Murtagh and Katherine Larkin/s (Information from death certificate). 
Religion: Catholic

IMMIGRATION INFORMATION
Arrival:  7 January 1861, Ship: British Trident
James Murtagh arrived onboard the British Trident with Ellen Murtagh. 
Details on the shipping record is as follows:
James Murtagh from Coolock, Dublin, Age:  16 years
Ellen Murtagh from Belcamp Co Dublin, Age 18 years
I do not know the relationship between James and Ellen Murtagh.
Immigration Depositor for James and Ellen Murtagh:  Catherine Murtagh (20 years from Clontarf, Dublin) their depositor, and Mary Ann Murtagh (18 years from Clontarf, Dublin) arrived in Australia, onboard the FitzJames on 1 April 1857.  The parents’ names given for Catherine and Mary Ann Murtagh are Patrick and Ann Murtagh living at Coolock, Dublin.
I note Clontarf and Coolock are only a short distance apart.  I have also tried to approach my research through Catherine and Mary Ann Murtagh and parents, with no success so far.

Death of James Murtagh:  Otford, New South Wales 19 July 1918.
Interred: Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney, Catholic Section. Inscription on the headstone says native place, Armagh. 

James Murtagh married Margaret Gilogly nee McKeown on 14 October 1873 at the Catholic Church in Mudgee, New South Wales.  No details are given of their family or residence in Ireland.  I have found many spellings for “GiIogly’ and ‘McKeown’.

Children: Catherine, James, Margaret and Felix (Failex).  The children were not registered.  There is only church records of the births and no details are given for the parents. A newspaper article in the Sydney Morning Herald of Saturday,12 August 1876 notes ‘James Murtagh of Northern Ireland’, no other information.

Any additional help in finding the origins in Ireland of my ancestors would be most appreciated.

Regards

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MURTAGH FAMILY – JAMES MURTAGH – LURGAN/COOLOCK, ARMAGH
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 September 19 08:11 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline currykid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 September 19 08:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response.    There has to be a record of the family somewhere.    I will try Lurgan.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 September 19 09:12 BST (UK) »

Maybe some among the records at National Archives of Ireland that John Grenham mentions?

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline currykid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 September 19 09:50 BST (UK) »
I have looked through records in the National Archives.  I do wonder if records of the family were lost in the 1922 fire.  I have read reconstructed records are going to be released in 2022.