Author Topic: Marriage Bond - 1597  (Read 734 times)

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Bond - 1597
« on: Thursday 19 September 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
For those who have been following the associated thread, here is the Marriage Bond between Randal/Randolph Rawlins also Cliffe to Joan Curtis, both of Honington, Warwickshire,  in 1597.

Initially the clerk gets Randolph's name wrong putting down Reynold - but appears to correct it. Or does he? Are later references to Reynolde uncorrected errors or another person - perhaps father?  Is there a reference to Randall Junior at the end of the fourth last line on page 1?

Then on page 2 there is reference to a Reginald (another misspelling?) and also a William Ewens (_?___ Wigorn) and perhaps other names.

This section is of particular interest to me, because my 10x great grandfather was Humphrey Hewens of Tysoe, Warwickshire who died in 1617. The Hewens family - various spellings - family prospered there for 300 years.

Connections between the Tysoe Hewens and the well documented Hewens/Ewens/Euens family of Bretforton, Worcestershire have been theorised since the Rev Shorecross traced the Bretforton families in his work of 1908. No documentary connection was found.

Incidentally Joan Curtis' sister, Katherine had married Mathew Lightfoot of Oxhill - next parish to Tysoe - in 1593. Katherine and Mathew were  my 9x Great Grandparents. There are many family links between the villages of South Warkwickshire.

Can anyone provide a reasonably accurate de-cyphering of the full Marriage Bond?

Many thanks in advance.

Bradwell77
Bucks - Cadd, Howell, Ellard, Bennett, Smith (Hillesden, P Bissett), Mason (Edgcott)
Cheshire - Buckwright, Brearly (Stockport)
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Lincs - Jackson (Epworth), Foster, Jeffrey, Lincoln, Harley, Eastgate (Bennington) Maddison, Douthwaite, Dobbs & King (Caistor), Hill (Thornton)
Essex - Wright (Wigboroughs), Demmond & Rich (Layer Haye), Harrington (Grt Baddow), Tuley, Crosby, Horsnail, Keeling (Hanningfields & Woodhams)
Warwks - Claydon, Hewens & Arnold, (Tysoe)
Ireland- King Mayo

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Bond - 1597
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 September 19 17:29 BST (UK) »
Here are the first nine lines:

The Condic(i)on of this obligac(i)on is such that if hereafter there shall not appeare

any lawfull lett or impediment by reason of any p(re)contract consanguinitie affinitie or

any other lawfull meanes whatsoever but that [Randall?] Raulins al(ia)s Cliffe of ye

p(ar)ish of hu(n)nington within the Dioces of worcest(er) on the on p(ar)tie and Johanne [Curtesse?]

of the same p(ar)ish and Dioces on the other p(ar)tie maye lawfully sole(mp)niz Ma(t)r(im)onie to=

geather and in the same afterwardes remaine and continue like man and

wieffe accordinge to the lawes in that behalfe p(ro)vided.  And moreover if there be not at this

p(re)sent time any action suite plainte Quarrell or demannde [maid?] or dependinge before

any Judge Eccl(es)ia(sti)call or temporall for concerninge any such lawfull lett or impedime(n)t...

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 September 19 17:42 BST (UK) »
A couple more lines before I finish for the night:

...And alsoe if the s(ai)d Raynalde Rawlins al(ia)s Cliffe doe not proceede to the sole(mp)nizac(i)on

of Mat(rim)onie with the s(ai)d Johanne Cliffe* withoute the consent or agreement of the

p(ar)ente or governours of the s(ai)d Johanne...

* This is correctly transcribed but seems to be clearly wrong.

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 September 19 18:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks so far.

Notes - Definitely Joan Curtesse/Curtis - always variant spellings in Parish Records and other documents. The family go back another couple of generations and are my ancestors.

It is the second page - with reference to the Ewens - which I am more interested in.....will have to wait...

Kind regards

Bradwell77

PS Is the after after Ewens Civis ie citizen (of Worcester)?
Bucks - Cadd, Howell, Ellard, Bennett, Smith (Hillesden, P Bissett), Mason (Edgcott)
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Lincs - Jackson (Epworth), Foster, Jeffrey, Lincoln, Harley, Eastgate (Bennington) Maddison, Douthwaite, Dobbs & King (Caistor), Hill (Thornton)
Essex - Wright (Wigboroughs), Demmond & Rich (Layer Haye), Harrington (Grt Baddow), Tuley, Crosby, Horsnail, Keeling (Hanningfields & Woodhams)
Ireland- King Mayo

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 September 19 22:50 BST (UK) »
It is the second page - with reference to the Ewens - which I am more interested in.....

To my eye it looks more like Evans than Ewens, but another opinion would be useful on that.

(By the way, the Latin section, the 'Obligation', comes first; the English section, the 'Condition', follows it, as with your other bond.)

=====

Noverint univ(er)si p(er) p(re)sentes nos Reginaldu(m) Rawlins alias Cliffe de Hunnington

in Comitati Warwici Agricola(m) et Willielmu(m) Evans Civis Wigorn(ie) Inkeper teneri

et firmit(er) obligari Rich(ard)o Cosin Legum Doctori et Rob(er)to Warmsley Notario pu(bli)co

in centu(m) libris bonae et legalis monetae Anglie solvend(is) eisde(m) Rich(ard)o et Rob(er)to

hered(is) executorib(us) et assignat(is) suis ad quam quide(m) solutione(m) bene et fide-

lit(er) faciend(am) obligamus nos et utru(m)q(ue) nostru(m) p(er) se pro toto et in solido

hiered(es) executores et administratores nostros firmit(er) p(er) p(re)sentes  Dat(um)

Wigorn(ie) n(ost)ris sub Sigillis xvijo die mensis maij Anno R(eg)ni D(omi)ne n(ost)re

Elizabethae Dei gr(ati)a Angliae ffranciae et hiberniae R(egi)nae fidei defens(oris)

&c tricesimo Nono

signu(m) X Rawlins   signu(m) X Evans

May all men know by these presents that we, Reginald Rawlins otherwise Cliffe of Honington in the county of Warwick, farmer, and William Evans, Citizen of Worcester, innkeeper, are held and firmly bound to Richard Cosin, Doctor of Laws, and Robert Warmsley, Notary Public, in (the sum of) one hundred pounds of good and lawful money of England, to be paid to the same Richard and Robert, their heirs, executors and assigns; to make this very payment we well and faithfully bind ourselves, and each of us for himself for the whole and undivided amount, and (we bind) our heirs, executors and administrators firmly by these presents; given at Worcester under our seals on the 17th day of the month of May in the thirty-ninth year of the reign of our Lady Elizabeth, by the grace of God Queen of England, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith etc.
The mark X of Rawlins     The mark X of Evans

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 September 19 23:22 BST (UK) »
Picking up the rest of the English section from where HD left off (reply #2) ...

... And allsoe if this s(ai)d M(at)ri(m)onie be not sole(mp)-

nized betweene the s(ai)d p(ar)ties on thisside the feast of Trinitie Sundaye next ensuinge

And lastly if the s(ai)d Raynolde Rawlins doe upon his owne p(ro)p(er) costs and exp(en)ces

defend and save harmles the within named obligees and everye of them allwayes against all

manner of p(er)sons granntinge sealinge and deliveringe unto them the s(ai)d Randall [and] Joann[e]

a licence to be Maried together withoute askinge of the banes of M(at)ri(m)onie betweene

them and for all other causes w(hi)ch maye ensue by reason or occasion thereof that

then this p(re)sent obligac(i)on to be voyed or els to remaine in his full force and strength.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 September 19 02:27 BST (UK) »
It is the second page - with reference to the Ewens - which I am more interested in.....

To my eye it looks more like Evans than Ewens, but another opinion would be useful on that.

I too see Evans Bookbox . Certainly a 'v' and an 'a' in the middle.

I had also got around to deciding the end of line 4 says 'Randall Joann(e)' - and the writer has omitted the 'and' between them.
It's obvious from the following context that that is what was meant.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 September 19 08:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks guys.

Obviously half of me is wanting it to be Ewens, the other half holds back. Have only just reached the Tudor period after 50 years of family research and seen many variations on the name. Also we have evidence here of the clerk not being too precise about spelling or grammar!

Rev Shawcross (A Transcript of the Parish Registers of Bretforton 1908) has an extensive study of the Hewens family. He ties in Evans as well. If you have not read his work it is an excellent example of how much time a Victorian clergyman has on his hands!

Identifying William as an innkeeper is a good spot - there may be more in the records for him.

Once again thanks.
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Ireland- King Mayo