Author Topic: Living people, DNA matching and identification of them.  (Read 5145 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Living people, DNA matching and identification of them.
« on: Thursday 19 September 19 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. I have a question.

I am aware that we are not allowed to discuss living people on these forums which is a good rule to protect privacy.

I have had my DNA tested and have discovered I match a Scottish Clan "Chief" with 25 cMs. I do not know where this match comes from because as far as I am aware I do not match anyone with those names or those I have found when researching their ancestry. I have emailed the person in question but have not had a response.

Is there a way of discussing this on here to gain more information because if I state "I match a person who is the chief of Clan X" that information is easily found online and the person identified.

Many thanks.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Living people, DNA matching and identification of them.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 September 19 19:50 BST (UK) »

As a suggestion, - have you uploaded your DNA to the GedMatch Site?

Once you've done that, and have a Kit no, - you can join the Scottish DNA Facebook Group, if you so wish, - and can discuss this on that Forum.

I'm already on there:-)

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 September 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
Both you and the clan chief have many ancestral lines on which you may match each other. Try to narrow down the field by looking at shared matches just as you would in analysing any other match.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 September 19 21:30 BST (UK) »
As a suggestion, - have you uploaded your DNA to the GedMatch Site?

Once you've done that, and have a Kit no, - you can join the Scottish DNA Facebook Group, if you so wish, - and can discuss this on that Forum.

I'm already on there:-)
Romilly.

Hello, yes I have done that. I didn't know about that group, I will join! many thanks for that info

Both you and the clan chief have many ancestral lines on which you may match each other. Try to narrow down the field by looking at shared matches just as you would in analysing any other match.

Hi, yes I have been doing that. Many of the matches don't make sense, even with ones that I am in regular communication with. The problem is I have many unknown questions and various suspicions in my tree where I suspect different fathers/mothers to what the paper trail states for various reasons along with an unknown 2x great-grandfather which further complicates things.

Having looked at the ancestry of this clan, there is a lot of nobility and established lines. I suspect many mistresses and such in communities such as this.

anyway, thank you :)
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 September 19 21:59 BST (UK) »
If I were you I would not get too hung up in looking at the clan. You need to work the matches to figure out where this person connects to you. The connection may be on a completely different line and absolutely nothing to do with their surname or position in the clan.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 September 19 22:06 BST (UK) »
Liviani, 25cM is a very distant and/or genetically remote connection.  Be prepared for a long and frustrating search.  Many people here will try to help you, but don't jump to conclusions.  Your relative could be the descendant of of a very distant relative.

Martin

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 September 19 22:08 BST (UK) »
If I were you I would not get too hung up in looking at the clan. You need to work the matches to figure out where this person connects to you. The connection may be on a completely different line and absolutely nothing to do with their surname or position in the clan.

There is a mutual match with myself who are farmers from Lintrathen Parish in Forfarshire (Angus). This is on my maternal side, of course this individual may match me on the same segment but on the paternal side. Working through it now.

I have checked the individuals ancestry online, unfortunately their maternal line is vastly incomplete and is focusing on the Y-DNA side
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie