Author Topic: Seeking help re two baptisms for the same name.  (Read 1968 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Seeking help re two baptisms for the same name.
« on: Saturday 21 September 19 05:20 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor, John Farr, born in 1759 at Haslington Cheshire.

I have a baptism for him on 17 June 1759 at Haslington, with father named as Thomas.
Event:      Christening
Event Date:   17 Jun 1759
Event Place:   Haslington, Cheshire
Name:      John Far
Father:      Thos. Far
Film Number:   2186911
Digital Folder No    4019282
Image Number   178
As per Family Search

I have also found a baptism for John Farr on 29 July 1759 at Manchester.
Name:    John Farr
Event Type:    Baptism
Baptism Date:    29 Jul 1759
Parish:    Manchester, St Mary, St Denys and St George
Father's name:    Thos Farr
Archive Roll:    748
in the Manchester, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1573-1812 (Cathedral) on Ancestry.

Is it possible for Thomas to have taken John from Haslington to Manchester some six weeks later for another baptism, or is it just a cast of two fathers naming their sons John, with the births being about the same time.

At this time I have only the baptism and marriage of John Farr, and nothing about Thomas to go on to find out if they are the same or not.

Any assistance would be very gratefully accepted.

A Chesters

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help re two baptisms for the same name.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 September 19 07:34 BST (UK) »
My only thought is that the Haslington baptism was a private baptism, but the parish register image (FindMyPast) offers no further information at all.  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 September 19 07:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that.

I had not thought about a private baptism :-[

AC

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 September 19 08:09 BST (UK) »
Haslington was a chapelry in the parish of Bottomley, until 1860.

Maybe the parents wanted a "proper" baptism in a parish church?
And perhaps one of the 2 places was the mother's family home, and the other the father's family home?

See: https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CHS/haslington/haslington_church
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 September 19 09:23 BST (UK) »
I would start by assuming that these are two separate people then try to disprove that. Look for evidence of the second John and Thomas living in Manchester in subsequent life events.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 September 19 09:38 BST (UK) »
The Genuki site states that, as the crow flies, it is 27 miles from Haslington to Manchester - a long way to go for a christening.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 September 19 09:40 BST (UK) »
I've just been doing some cross checking of  Far* with father named Thomas/Thos in Manchester, Lancashire and Cheshire for the period 1760 +/- 5.  There are quite a few* in Manchester  but only your John in Haslington. The other Haslington baptisms with that father's name are for Farrington.  I'm wondering if Far was written by mistake and could have been Farrington.

Gadget

*add - as Farr
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 September 19 20:33 BST (UK) »
I've done some spot-checking of other baptisms recorded in the Haslington registers in the same year as John Far(r) son of Thomas, searching FindMyPast and ancestry for a corresponding Bishops Transcript. Eg Mary Lea, Elizabeth Brockley, etc etc; also searched by Christian name alone + 1759, just in case the surname has been badly indexed. Also took into account that Haslington seems to have been a chapelry within the parish of Barthomley, and might have been indexed as Barthomley on FindMyPast. I found the Barthomley BTs on FindMyPast, but they seem to confirm that Haslington chapelry data for 1759 is missing from them: ie Mary Lea, Eliz. Brockley etc do not appear. So, given the seeming total absence of corresponding BTs anywhere for anyone listed in the Haslington bp records of 1759, I rather imagine that John Farr bp 29/7/1759 Manchester must be a different person (possibly died 1813). That being said, I haven't managed to 'kill off' John s of Thomas! There's a possible candidate d 1760  'pauper of Haslington' but the context suggests he was an adult.
Hope this helps  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 September 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
I found the Barthomley BTs on FindMyPast, but they seem to confirm that Haslington chapelry data for 1759 is missing from them

Not quite sure what you have been looking for. BumbleB and I have both looked at the parish record image for John Far in Haslington.  If they are just missing from the BTs then the baptism is still there in the parish records  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***