Author Topic: James James birth help  (Read 760 times)

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James James birth help
« on: Saturday 21 September 19 05:49 BST (UK) »
I am hoping some one can help me. I have a birth certificate for James James born on the 20 May 1868 in Penpound, Bettws. Parents are William James and Frances Morgan but the birth was registered in Llandebie, Llandilofawr, Carmarthen which is an awfully long way from where he was born. Was that usual for the birth to take place in one place and registered in another?

On the 1881 census his birth place is Bettws, Carmarthen and he is living in Llanguicke. He is not found on the 1891 census. I found a possible James James born in Glanaman, Carmarthen on the 1901 census married to Harriet Isabella Dole. This one looks promising as they had children named Catherine, Frances and William possibly after the parents.

I have been struggling with James for the past ten years and hope someone can give me some advice on how to solve this please. Any help would be much appreciated.

Pauline

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: James James birth help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 September 19 08:35 BST (UK) »
Is this his parents marriage
March qtr 1868 
William James   
Frances Morgan   
Llandilofawr registration district    11a   763

As you can see from the attached list Llandilofawr registration district covers Bettws
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/llandilofawr.html
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 September 19 08:52 BST (UK) »
The address Penpound,Bettws is where Frances Morgan's family lived(see 1861 census).I think it is  in the Lland(e)ilo registration district.As Llandybie is only 5 miles from Llandeilo,there may be no inconsistency.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 September 19 09:33 BST (UK) »
The "Bettws" birthplace in the 1881 census is "dittoed" from his mother,above.In this circumstance I wuld look to see if there is alternaive data.Looking at the original of the 1871 census,James James is given as born Llanguicke,fully written out,which would make sense.
This raises the possibility for 1891 of James James,married to Ann(possibly nee Morgan?) at RG12/4467/8/16.

Regards
Roger

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 September 19 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie yes that is his parents marriage. Family Search have them marrying on the 26 January 1868 in Cwmamman, Carmarthenshire.

Thanks for the list of Llandilofawr registration districts. That has solved that for me. Not sure now if he is the correct James James on the 1901 census born in Glanaman, Carmarthen.

Thanks for your help. Its much appreciated.
Pauline

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 September 19 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger yes I had discounted the 1871 census with James being born in Llanguicke. I felt this was a mistake in the census.

I originally had  James James marrying Ann Morgan on the 20 September 1890 in Pontardawe, Glamorgan but the certificate I have has James James as his father. I believe this James may have died in a mining accident in 1894 at the Dowlais Black Vein Drift and his wife Ann James went on to marry again a few years later.

Thank you for your help.
Pauline

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 September 19 13:26 BST (UK) »
Cwmaman and Glanaman are quite likely the same place Cwm is valley, and the current Glanaman hospital is also know as Amman Valley Hospital.
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 September 19 06:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pejic for that information.

I have just ordered the marriage cert for James James to Harriet Dole in 1895 in Pontardawe, Glamorgan.
James was a witness on his father's death cert in Sep 1891 and also a witness on his sister Margaret's marriage cert in Sep 1892. Strange that he cannot be found on the 1891 census. I will let you know the outcome when the cert arrives. If it is not the correct one I can only assume he may have emigrated sometime in the the 1890's and if that is the case I will never find him.

Thanks all for your help.
Pauline