Author Topic: Sir Walter Blount  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Walter Blount
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 19:52 BST (UK) »
I’ve really enjoyed reading all your thoughts re the burial of Sir Walter Blount. It’s turned into a fascinating detective story. I have found inconsistencies on Find a grave before where people have posted pictures of church monuments claiming that they are this or that person when the opposite is true.

I think I have seen information somewhere which states that Walter Blount had land in Leicester which makes think he was buried there rather than Nottingham.

Jay😊
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 September 19 18:49 BST (UK) »
Just a quick update re the burial of Sir Walter Blount. I sent a message to St Mary Magdalene, Newark on Trent explaining the information I was seeking. To this last I attached the photo from Findagrave and they answered back by saying only that that monument wasn’t in their church.

The replay wasn’t very clear. I suppose he could be buried there but without a monument? Perhaps there was once a monument long, long ago which was subsequently destroyed or removed for some reason. Wikipedia states that he was buried there. Of course this site isn’t always factually reliable.

The search goes on🧐

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 September 19 12:36 BST (UK) »
The St Mary church in Newarke ,Leicester seems to have been demolished very early on -1500s I think. Only 2 arches remain. So the questions are, was the tomb removed to another church? Is it actually a tomb of the Blounts, or has someone just found a "nice" tomb and added their names to it?
I think you need to get in touch with the people who "supposedly" took the photo's.
The monuments in Newark- on-Trent church are all named on their web page. Also as far as I can work out the Blounts had nothing to do with the town, so why be buried there.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 September 19 13:40 BST (UK) »
https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4841/46006565621_9e4074f585_b.jpg

Robert and Ann Blount, Astley Church, Worcester

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4850/44190780990_196c5853d4_b.jpg

Walter and Isabella Blount, same church

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101082676-church-of-st-peter-astley-and-dunley#.XY4Ek0ZKiUk

Find a Grave, needs a nudge, but I cannot find anywhere to post one!
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 September 19 13:45 BST (UK) »
(Larkspur has beaten me to it, but I'll post my message anyway as it links to another page too, and a whole collection of images from Astley.)

I've just done a Google image search for Sir Walter Blount and found a picture of the same tomb in Astley, Worcestershire. There are actually two very similar tombs there, both for members of the Blount family: one is apparently for Robert (d 1573) and Anne; the other for Walter (d 1561) and Isabel (d 1562).

For more, see the following:

http://www.churchmonumentsgazetteer.co.uk/Worcestershire.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52219527@N00/with/4709171050/

Google also brought up some images/results at Findagrave, which on this occasion did mention Astley, but this experience has significantly lowered my opinion of that site.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 September 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
Excellent Arthurk, the second set are stunning photo's.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 September 19 14:05 BST (UK) »
I reckon they're pretty stunning memorials - wouldn't mind having them in my family  ;D
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 September 19 21:18 BST (UK) »
Larkspur/arthurk :o :o :o

Wow!!! Great detective. Mystery solved! Thank both so very much for all your help😉 So the memorial on Findagrave is dedicated to a completely different person, from a later generation but the same family?

All goes to show how very important it is to check, and check again secondary sources online rather than taking info one finds at face value. A valuable lesson. So pleased I posted the topic here. Perhaps the person who posted the image on Findagrave confused the two Walter Blounts? When I originally found the image I thought it appeared later in date than the date Sir Walter Blount died which was in early 1400s.

I found other misleading information on Findagrave and other places online re burials. Last year I was looking for the burial of George Stanley. He married the daughter of the first lord Dudley. According to a source I discovered he was said to have been buried in Lichfield Cathedral with a monument. Wrong. It was a different Stanley but from the same family.

I wonder if there is any evidence anywhere to say that Sir Walter Blount was buried at Leicester?

Jay😊

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 September 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the person who posted the image on Findagrave confused the two Walter Blounts?

Evidently - and they must have lifted the photo from somewhere else as they clearly haven't visited the church where they claim it was taken. Nor, it seems, are they aware of the significance of Leicester in the instructions in Sir Walter's will. (I admit that at first I too prioritised 'Newark' over 'Leicester', though I had hoped to find a copy of the will in order to make sure of what it actually said.)

It appears you can submit corrections at Findagrave, though you need an account to do so.

I wonder if there is any evidence anywhere to say that Sir Walter Blount was buried at Leicester?

No parish registers at that date, and as has been pointed out, the church is no longer there. There are articles about Sir Walter at Wikipedia (beware - the article there on St Mary's Newark says he was buried there!) and the Dictionary of National Biography (which is generally regarded as pretty authoritative); these might lead to other sources, but I don't know what they would be. Ideally you'd want to find some contemporary chronicles; or I wonder - might his widow have left a will in which she asked to be buried "alongside my husband at...."?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Blount_(soldier)

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Blount,_Walter_(d.1403)_(DNB00)

The DNB link here is to an older out-of-copyright edition. I can access the latest one through my public library card, and it adds a bit more:
- Sir Walter was entrusted with the care and tutelage of the young Prince Thomas
- Sancha Blount lived until 1418 or 1419 as a pensioner of the crown and was buried beside him
- Prince Thomas set aside 1000 marks for the erection of a splendid Blount family chantry at St Mary's.

As sources, it mentions Parliamentary (Commons) and Chancery records, and the following volumes:
N. H. Nicolas, ed., The Scrope and Grosvenor controversy, 2 vols. (privately printed, London, 1832)
S. Walker, The Lancastrian affinity, 1361–1399 (1990)
A. Croke, The genealogical history of the Croke family, 2 vols. (1823)
R. Somerville, History of the duchy of Lancaster, 1265–1603 (1953)

Just a few things to get your teeth into....