Author Topic: James Fletcher, a stockman in Western Australia  (Read 1024 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Fletcher, a stockman in Western Australia
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the welcome. I have been following the ancestral line back for my adopted sister in law, who is part aboriginal. James Fletcher was allegedly her great grandfather according to the Tindale charts and with the assistance from the Aboriginal History Unit in WA. He was listed as of British descent and fathered 2 children with 2 different aboriginal ladies from the Fitzroy Crossing area. James Fletcher is the only person named as such in the area during the period 1921-1928. Perhaps he's not the same stockman listed further down the coast in earlier electoral rolls, but I would think it likely.

I have modified to answer the question regarding looking at Trove. Yes I have and the only possibility I can see is of the death notice of W J Fletcher in 1939 who mentions a son the late James Fletcher of Murchison. However I have not found a death record for him of when he died.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/46298736?searchTerm=%22James%20Fletcher%22&searchLimits=notWords|||requestHandler|||anyWords|||l-advstate=Western+Australia|||exactPhrase=James+Fletcher|||dateTo|||l-category=Family+Notices|||dateFrom|||sortby=dateAsc
The Trove note says he was the son of , not James being the son of Walter

Walters AIF record has his mother listed as NOK. Mrs A Fletcher Newcastle St Perth. The A Fletcher matches the death notice. The notice states the mother is now in Brewer St

Confirming birth notice has WJ born to James and Alice Ellen McGuinness. That matches the A Fletcher already mentioned

A Family tree has Alice b1866 and James b1865 in Dimboola Vic marrying in Ararat Vic 1885

http://www.frankmurray.com.au/1840-mcguiness

This links to a 1913 death of James http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article26888897 states born in Vic and 50 years of age.

The above obit states he was 'of the Murchison'' so its assumed he is your man

The deceased. who was 50 years of age. wasca native of Victoria, where he resided for 28 years. He came to this State 17 years ago, and at once faced the hardships of life on the Murchison goldfields, where he followed mining for many years. By dint of hard work and enterprise he amassed some
money, and then took over the Commonwealth Hotel, at Cue

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Mamac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Fletcher, a stockman in Western Australia
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 23:47 BST (UK) »
DavidG02, thank you for that information. I actually corrected myself regarding the father/son relationship in a later post in this thread. I have discounted this Fletcher.

Trove has thrown up many James Fletcher articles which I have been wading through. There is one Coolgardie court case in 1900 of a James R Fletcher abandoning his wife and children. They were married in South Australia in 1893 and moved to Coolgardie. The case was dismissed and she returned to SA. I did see an advertisement placed by his wife in 1909 stating that because she hadn't heard from him in 9 years, then she assumed him dead and she was free to marry again.

This man turned out to be James Ryder Fletcher marrying Elizabeth Jane Blackmore in 1893. Perhaps he was "my" James Fletcher.