Author Topic: PENNINGTON family in Birstall, West Yorkshire and Lancashire Connection  (Read 1202 times)

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PENNINGTON family in Birstall, West Yorkshire and Lancashire Connection
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 September 19 09:24 BST (UK) »
Marriage Dewsbury March qtr 1890
John Pennington, Emily Glover.
Lee
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 September 19 09:35 BST (UK) »
On 1891 census Emily is shown as being born Durham and John Yorkshire.I think they muddled up but it seems to confirm 1869 birth up north.
Do you have Joseph and Ann Entwistle on any census ,I can't find them anywhere before or after marriage.
Ralph Entwistle was a witness at wedding.
Lee

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 September 19 17:30 BST (UK) »
Chempat/Hol - thanks for all the information. Some of it just confirmed what I knew already but the marriage index link to Ann Delamore (or Ann Delllmoore) in Blackburn was what I was seeking.

Another question - is there any site (similar to the GRO site perhaps?) that enables me to search on the marriage index record (in this example 8e 535) for more information (i.e. the information normally contained on actual marriage certificates) or do you HAVE to order a copy in order to get that information?

As others have said, it seems like you will have to buy the marriage certificate for the Pennington-Delamore marriage.
Some Non-Conformist and Catholic marriages which have "Register Office or Registrar Attended" or similar in a BMD index might have been transcribed on a volunteer website. Examples:
FreeReg  https://www.freereg.org.uk
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks for marriages in Lancashire. www.lan-opc.org.uk    Most registers on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website are C. of E. but there are some from other denominations. E.g. Independent Chapel, Little Lever marriage registers 1857-1944 are on LANOPC. There are new additions each month. Some other counties are part of the Online Parish Clerks project.
Cowban

Offline CGPennington54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 September 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
On the 1901 census Arthur's father is John Pennington born Scotch Wood,Northamptonshire 1869.
Arthur with mothers maiden name Glover born 1897 march qtr Dewsbury.
Have you found family on any early census.
Lee
Yes, I am extremely confident that I have got my tree correct as far back as Joseph Pennington (about 1816-before 1881) and his wife Ann Entwistle (1821-1891), my 3rd great grandparents. Their son James (1847-1890) married Ann Delamore (1847-1908), and their son John Thomas (1869-1904) married Emily Glover (1867-1913) - my great grandparents.

The problem I now have, is that I do not know for certain who the father of Joseph was, as on the marriage certificate (with Ann Entwistle) his father is not named. On ancestry.co.uk. other trees have it that Joseph's parents were (another) Joseph Pennington and Jane Pugh who married on 3 Oct 1808 at Collegiate in Manchester; however, I have not found any documentation to prove that these were his parents. Also, unfortunately, I do know that another prominent family tree in ancestry containing these people does contain some significant errors.

I have only been on ancestry a year or so, but I made tremendous progress on my wife's side of the family, and also my mother's side, so it's a bit frustrating that I've hit this current stumbling block with my main interest, the Pennington's, and I'm not sure how I can overcome this hurdle at present.

By the way, Scotch Wood is/was in Northumberland, I assume Northamptonshire was just an error.

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 September 19 14:19 BST (UK) »
I only asked as I can't find Joseph or Ann Entwistle on any census.
I have 3 lines from my grandparents that stop when I got to an illegitimate birth.
The said sons born illegitimate had no father named on marriage certificate as they didn't know who he was or he had not acknowledged them.
You may have to start looking for a birth without a father.
Quite sure there are a lot of people on here who have the same problem.
Lee

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 September 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
I managed to find Ann Entwistle/Pennington widowed and living in Radcliffe with her brother Ralph's son also a Ralph in 1881.
Rg11 3869/152.
There is a death for an Ann Pennington Dec qtr Bolton 1891.aged 70.
Only one Ann Pennington of correct age on 1891 census in Bolton.
Made it easier to find her in 1841 with  father Ralph at Radcliffe.
Does her husband Joseph give his place of birth on census 51-71 and where are they living.
Lee

Offline CGPennington54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 September 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
I managed to find Ann Entwistle/Pennington widowed and living in Radcliffe with her brother Ralph's son also a Ralph in 1881.
Rg11 3869/152.
There is a death for an Ann Pennington Dec qtr Bolton 1891.aged 70.
Only one Ann Pennington of correct age on 1891 census in Bolton.
Made it easier to find her in 1841 with  father Ralph at Radcliffe.
Does her husband Joseph give his place of birth on census 51-71 and where are they living.
Lee
Yes, I have Ann dying at age 70 in Oct-Dec 1891. Shortly before she died in the 1891 Census Ann was a domestic servant in Bolton. As you said, the 1881 Census was important as she was living with her nephew Ralph Entwistle (presumably named after Ann's father) - not a very common name, so probably correct relationship. We therefore know that Ann was widowed by 1881. Her husband Joseph was a carpenter and the 1851 and 1861 Censuses have the family living at Kiln Lane, Little Lever. Unfortunately I cannot find the 1871 Census of the family. The 1851 Census just gives Joseph's place of birth as Lancashire, but the 1861 Census gives his POB as Little Lever.

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 September 19 19:17 BST (UK) »
Ralph was the name that confirmed it was the correct Ann as his father was also Ralph b1823
Ann and brother Ralph's christenings are on lanc opc site along with Betty the witness at marriage and a couple of other siblings.
I forgot about the carpenter occupation it was on marriage record and children's christenings.
Lee

Offline CGPennington54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 September 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
Ralph was the name that confirmed it was the correct Ann as his father was also Ralph b1823
Ann and brother Ralph's christenings are on lanc opc site along with Betty the witness at marriage and a couple of other siblings.
I forgot about the carpenter occupation it was on marriage record and children's christenings.
Lee
Strange that the 1871 Census of the family is missing. For some reason I have a suspicion that the parents of Joseph (who married Ann Entwistle) were Joseph (b. 1787-1840) and Jane Pugh (1784-1870), though I haven't been able to prove it, and it doesn't explain why his name was missing from Joseph junior's marriage certificate. Joseph senior and Jane were shopkeepers and lived in the Walkden area, which is only about 3 miles S of Little Lever. Joseph junior's DOB 16 Jul 1818 and baptism on 11 Oct 1818 at Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Walkden Moor, fits well with their other children Thomas (1811), Anne (1816), William (1820), James (1825) & Margaret (1829).