Author Topic: Marriage in Kings Lynn for 1902.  (Read 968 times)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Marriage in Kings Lynn for 1902.
« on: Thursday 26 September 19 20:36 BST (UK) »
As a local I can visit the library in Kings lynn to help with my search by viewing their collection of church records.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips on the best approach. I have the marriage names and details taken from FreeBMD. The marriage in question was in the June quarter of 1902. I appreciate I will probably need to look through all the individual church records, my query is, what if I cant find a marriage? Would it be safe to assume it may have been a register office wedding with the only option then available would be for me to order a duplicate mariage certificate via the GRO?

I have already checked the various free online websites like Family Search and FreeREG so far without any mention of the couple concerned.

Many thanks in advance Steve  ;)
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Kings Lynn for 1902.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 September 19 21:32 BST (UK) »
Kings Lynn was the RD but these are all the various areas covered by that RD

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/kings%20lynn.html

You might find it cheaper to buy the cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 September 19 21:39 BST (UK) »
You could try this to see if it might narrow down your search: http://marriage-locator.co.uk/
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 September 19 22:33 BST (UK) »
Kings Lynn was the RD but these are all the various areas covered by that RD

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/kings%20lynn.html

You might find it cheaper to buy the cert

Thanks very much CaroleW for your reply and the link.........you may well be correct........probably save me a lot of time as well  ;)

You could try this to see if it might narrow down your search: http://marriage-locator.co.uk/

Thank you also for your reply Craclyn and the link to marriage locator. Didn`t know that website existed but I do now and I have saved it to my favourites for future reference.  ;)

I have carried out a search with this result "Sorry, we cannot locate the church for this marriage. The entry is located between entries for Weasenham All Saints (RD: Mitford) and Welney St Mary (RD: Downham)."

Never mind, looks like I might have to take CaroleW`s advice!

Many thanks Steve  ;)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 September 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
I have already checked the various free online websites like Family Search and FreeREG so far without any mention of the couple concerned.

Ah, so not the Parfrement marriage, banns online, I should have checked, sorry (post deleted).
Easier to help if you give names or full GRO reference.

Offline Lola5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 September 19 20:14 BST (UK) »
Sometimes if you cannot find the right marriage it could be that the wife was previously married, even if briefly, and has given her old marriage name instead of her maiden name.

Also, look for birth of first  child of the couple....as where born might be where the parents married.
If you have a gro number then get the cert as has been suggested .
Interesting things certs!.

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 September 19 18:18 BST (UK) »

Ah, so not the Parfrement marriage, banns online, I should have checked, sorry (post deleted).
Easier to help if you give names or full GRO reference.

Thank you jonw65 for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.  :)

Sometimes if you cannot find the right marriage it could be that the wife was previously married, even if briefly, and has given her old marriage name instead of her maiden name.

Also, look for birth of first  child of the couple....as where born might be where the parents married.
If you have a gro number then get the cert as has been suggested .
Interesting things certs!.

Many thanks Lola5 for your reply and for the details and advice you enclose.  :) I have already done as you suggested so I know the maiden name for the wife and traced a birth for her to Kings Lynn circa 1877. Since my original post I have also found the husband as a boy aged 10 on the 1891 living in Kings Lynn, although further research suggests he was born in Walsingham circa 1881. However as the Walsingham area is not included in the link CaroleW gave and the fact I know the district of the marriage as Kings Lynn together with the quarter and the year, my intention was to visit the library to check their very good selection of resources with the hope it may well have been one of the churches in Kings Lynn as I assumed they were both living or came from Kings Lynn.

Having said this, with the large number of areas covered ( as per CaroleW`s link ) I believe it may well be a hopeless task and I will probably take the advice offered and purchase a marriage certificate when finances allow as there are other certificates I would like to order first.

Many thanks Steve  ;)

Offline Lola5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 September 19 18:54 BST (UK) »
I guess you have already been to the NRO?
So much info held  there and the old church registers etc etc make  for fascinating reading.
And the staff so very helpful always.....though it is years since I last went.

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 September 19 19:08 BST (UK) »
I have been to the NRO but not recently.

As for interesting reading, you are not wrong...............problem is I get carried away. I was recently viewing a 1950s version of the Lynn News Newspaper on the film reader at the library. Again I knew the year and the quarter of the death, I was trying to locate a family death notice in the newspaper...........well that was the intention, I got side tracked with adverts from the era and other stories that a quick 10 minute look up lasted nearly two hours  ::)  ;)