Author Topic: Mary Ann(a) Terry (formerly Taylor)  (Read 1240 times)

Offline SMGRCT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann(a) Terry (formerly Taylor)
« on: Friday 27 September 19 02:53 BST (UK) »
My great-grandmother was Mary Ann Terry (formerly Taylor)
She died on January 27, 1899 at the age of 25.
She died at home on Mark Street in Lurgan.
Her husband (my great-grandfather) was John Terry and he was a weaver.

I am trying to locate where she may have been buried.  In some instances, I have seen Shankill parish mentioned.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann(a) Terry (formerly Taylor)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 September 19 09:58 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have a look through this fascinating website.
http://www.lurganancestry.com/gravestones.htm

The two cemeteries in Lurgan are:
Shankill Cemetery, Shankill Street, Lurgan &
Lurgan Cemetery, New-Line, Lurgan.

Contact the ABC council
https://www.armaghbanbridgecraigavon.gov.uk/resident/cemeteries/

Good luck!

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline SMGRCT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
Ireland - I am still trying to find where my great-grandmother (Mary Anne Terry) may have been laid to rest

Mary Anne Taylor was born April 6, 1873 in Lurgan, Armagh County to William and Annie Taylor

Mary Anna Taylor and John Terry were married on August 16, 1890 in Lurgan and resided on Union Street in Lurgan (Parish of Shankill) - She was 17 years old at time of marriage

William Henry Terry was born to Mary Anna Terry and John Terry on June 19, 1891 and the family resided on Mark Street in Lurgan

William Henry Terry died on September 8, 1891 - It was reported that he died of convulsions and that there was no medical attendant

Jonathan Terry was born to Mary Ann Terry and John Terry on July 27, 1892 and the family resided on Mark Street in Lurgan

James Terry was born to Mary Ann Terry and John Terry on May 23, 1894 and the family resided on Mark Street in Lurgan

William Terry was born to Mary Ann Terry and John Terry on December 8, 1895 and the family resided on Mark Street in Lurgan

William Henry Terry died June 4, 1896 in Lurgan - it was reported that he died of tubercular meningitis 
Henry Terry was born to Mary Ann Terry and John Terry on March 14, 1897 and the family resided on Mark Street in Lurgan

Annie Terry was born to Mary Ann Terry and John Terry on June 9, 1898 and the family resided on Mark Street in Lurgan

Annie Terry died on December 28, 1898 in Lurgan - it was reported that she died of  marasmus (form of severe malnutrition

Mary Anna Terry died on January 27, 1899 on Mark Street in Lurgan - It was reported that she died of Phthisis (tuberculosis) (PDF and certified death certificate from Ireland) - She was 25 years old at time of death

Offline applemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 20 18:57 BST (UK) »
you don't say what cemeteries you have searched and I'm not sure how much you know about the history of Lurgan and this is just a thought, but the existing Lurgan Hospital which is close to Union St and Mark street was originally a Workhouse and in the 1840s it also included a 40 bedded Fever Hospital ( you mentioned your relative died of TB ) . the dead were buried in an adjacent graveyard.
Lurgan & Portadown District Hospital didn't open until 1929 so the Fever Hospital might have been still operating when your family member died.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
you don't say what cemeteries you have searched and I'm not sure how much you know about the history of Lurgan and this is just a thought, but the existing Lurgan Hospital which is close to Union St and Mark street was originally a Workhouse and in the 1840s it also included a 40 bedded Fever Hospital ( you mentioned your relative died of TB ) . the dead were buried in an adjacent graveyard.
Lurgan & Portadown District Hospital didn't open until 1929 so the Fever Hospital might have been still operating when your family member died.

The Lurgan fever hospital opened with 40 beds but a further 50 were soon added.
"In 1929, the workhouse became Lurgan and Portadown District Hospital, later Lurgan Hospital. Much of the original buildings have now been demolished."
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Lurgan/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline SMGRCT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 20 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  On my great-grandmother's death certificate, it mentions that her occupation was "veiner".  Is there any historical info on that term?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 April 20 20:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  On my great-grandmother's death certificate, it mentions that her occupation was "veiner".  Is there any historical info on that term?

See reply #6-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=136436.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!