Author Topic: Wanted dead or alive  (Read 4220 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted dead or alive
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 07:57 BST (UK) »
That's a shame because I do believe that the information contained in Norman's service record (which I [and perhaps others] have not found online when searching by name only) could well help to resolve an intriguing conundrum that has emerged from certain other information that you have provided.

The resolution of this conundrum could possibly in turn unlock the mystery of the whereabouts of  Norman after the distribution of his Father's Estate.

Willyam

What do you mean? What is the intriguing conundrum that has emerged?
You are implying that information is being withheld.
I am one who has searched to no avail but I don’t understand your assertions in this post.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
I feel the same way Heywood, but I think I best just press on trying to find William Norman and take no notice. Hopefully I will find him one day. Thank you all for your help.

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Heywood,

I am just off to get the car MOT'd but I will respond to you when I get back.

Willyam

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 15:15 BST (UK) »
Heywood,

It is not my intention to imply that information that we cannot find is being withheld.

I just find it frustrating that we cannot access, whether directly or indirectly, something that could enable us to assist with an unconditional request for help.

The nature of the conundrum that I have referred to is as follows.

Given that a) we are reliably informed that he served with the Lancashire Fusiliers and b) that his father Stephen’s death was registered in Stockport, I am intrigued as to why Norman applied for & obtained probate via the London Probate Registry - and not via the (local) Manchester & District Registry.

Additionally, I am further intrigued by the fact that probate was granted within less than 3 months after Stephen’s death - given that Norman may then have been on active service.

It is both my understanding and my personal experience that probate, in respect of a death that occurs anywhere in England & Wales, may be applied for at any Registry in England or Wales.

Indeed, when my sister-in-law died in Hyde in 2010 my wife (as her Executor) applied for & obtained probate via the Oxford Registry - rather than via the Manchester Registry.

She did this because it was conveniently the nearest Registry to where we live - which makes me wonder if Norman might have taken a similar approach, if he was perhaps at that time resident in or near to London.

Whilst there may be any number of reasons why Norman chose the London Registry, my hope is that his service record might reveal that he was discharged from the Fusiliers sometime before his father’s death and that, following his discharge, he had gone to London in furtherance of his Civil Service career.

Then, when his father subsequently died, he found it more convenient to process the probate application in London.

If that is the case then it could justify reorienting the post-1920 search for Norman towards London & the Home Counties.

Willyam

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
I feel I must answers you. The reason why probate in London Probate. Stephen will was all tied up with his Father Will, which was a will trust. Probate had been granted to Stephen Uncle back on 22 July 1867 and eventually by an order of the Court dated 20 July 1916 the Public Trustee was appointed to be sole trustee of the said Will.
We have many lawyers in the family even today.

I could go on but it will NOT help me find William Norman Ashton after the date I asked for.

My Friend as sent from England other information from Stockport newspapers
Soldier Families From Hazel Grove. 

Sir on reading your issue of last week my attention was drawn to the photo of Mr Sykes and his patriotic family. It is indeed one which any father can be justly proud about and I hasten to congratulate the worthy father on the possession of so many gallant and worthy sons and I wish them every luck and a safe return - to their father and mother. But while giving the father in question every praise I must on be half  of our own village, Bullock Smithy, draw attention to your remark, in which you said you knew of no one in the district with such a patriotic record. We have in Hazel Grove a father who can easily beat even such a splendid  record. The name of this gentleman  in question is Mr Ashton of Station road Hazel Grove. He has six sons serving in the army. Their names and regiments are as follows, Percy R.A.M.C in the Dardanelles, Stephen Royal  Marines in Serbia, Clarence Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby) in France, Cuthbert Northumberland Fusiliers stationed at Morpeth, Norman  Lancashire Fusiliers Cavendish Park Barrow in Furness and Reginald with the  Anzacs  somewhere in the Dardanelles.
Mr Ashton the father  of these gallant sons is a prominent and well respected member of the Hazel Grove Conservatives Club and needless to say the members consider  it a very high honour to have a member with such  a proud record in their midst.

Stockport  7 Jan 1917

A Soldiers family...A good deal of interest has been aroused in the village by the fact that Mr Ashton of Station road  has no less than six sons serving their King and Country. Percy who was in Canada when war was declared, came over with the Canadians and is now in the Dardanelles, Stephen , Royal Marines was on HM ship The Iron Duke, but has been sent somewhere in charge of a big gun , where has not transpired, Cuthbert is with the Northumberland Fusiliers stationed at Morpeth, Norman is in the 4th Battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers in camp at Barrow in Furness, Reginald in with the Australians and Clarence who has been wounded in the leg but is now better and in the fighting line is with the Derby and Notts Regiment

I hope this will be an end to the matter. Sadly I didn't need your kind of help willyam

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this most informative clarification.

Willyam

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 18:47 BST (UK) »
This thread is now closed #Thank you

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 28 December 20 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello CU,

There has been further interest in your topic but your last message is putting off a member replying to you - are you sure you wish no further replies on this topic ?

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 28 December 20 13:54 GMT (UK) »