Author Topic: Thomas BARCLAY Skelbo & Davochbeg  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas BARCLAY Skelbo & Davochbeg
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 September 19 19:46 BST (UK) »
MonicaL
I am right in thinking that the entry that you have from 1789 is for an Isobel with parents showing as John and a Jannet Kennedy?
Yes

Was there anything in Thomas and Isabella's children's names that could help?
Here's the list : trying to apply naming conventions:
John Barclay : named after mat gdfather
Thomas Barclay   : named after pat gdfather? (and father)
Anne Barclay : named after pat gdmother
Janet Barclay : named after mat gdmother
George Barclay : poss named after Janet's Kennedy's father   
Isabella Barclay : named after mother
Catherine Barclay : poss named after Janet Kennedy's mother
Margaret Barclay : ?   

So Isabella's parents : John & Janet
And Thomas' parents : Thomas & Anne

Have you managed to find the names for Thomas' parents?
No. All I know age-wise is that he was recorded as 65 in 1841 census and that he married in 1809..

There is one candidate in Banffshire: BARCLAY THOMAS to JAMES BARCLAY/KATHARINE DAVIDSO 05/10/1775 146/10 191 Alvah. This jiggers the application of naming conventions.
There is one candidate in Aberdeenshire: BARCLAY THOMAS to THOMAS BARCLAY/JANET BARCLAY 28/03/1779 195/30 45 Foveran. This is helpful but not helpful enough.

Thomas and Isabella moved around from what you mentioned. Their first born, called John, was christened in Boyndie wasn't he.

Did I mislead? No, he was baptised in Banff - i.e. where Isabel Watson was when she married.

Any sponsor family names listed?
Witnesses were: John Watson and George Massie (no other info).

The witness is unlikely to be John Watson miller Mill of Boyndie living to a ripe old age. There are hints elsewhere that he had a hitherto unknown son named John who succeeded his father (at Mill of Boyndie). But this son is a shadowy figure. However there is a seven year gap between John Watson & Janet Kennedy's marriage and their fiirst known child in which this son John (and others) could easily fit. Now, if he had a stint in a mill in Banff...