Author Topic: DNA Testing Advice  (Read 648 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Testing Advice
« on: Saturday 28 September 19 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been considering having DNA testing for quite awhile and I would like some advice please.  I have illegitmate link back over 100 years maternally and I have a paternal link where there was a death in my direct line and all contact with that part of the family was lost.
I also have an interest in ethnicity links.
I want to be sure that the company that I go with is discreet and adheres to data protection.

Any advice would be great.  Thank you.
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing Advice
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 September 19 10:07 BST (UK) »
All of the major testing companies are aware of data protection legislation. There are some security settings that you can choose to opt into or out of. However, if you want to be able to see the list of people you match you will need to allow them to see you. What specific concerns did you have?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 17:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Craclyn for your response.  My concerns were about security of personal data and that it was not sold on to any third party.  Are you allowed to recommend any companies on here?
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 11:15 BST (UK) »
You would need to read the terms & conditions for the company you choose to test with and read carefully what you opt into and out of.

My recommendation to get the best value from your testing budget would be to test with AncestryDNA who have the largest customer database. You can then upload your results from there to MyHeritage, FamilytreeDNA, gedmatch and LivingDNA so that you can fish in as many ponds as possible with lowest cost. All of these will give you a match list, but some require a small fee to access full functionality. The other major company I have not mentioned above is 23andme. You cannot upload there so you would need to buy a kit if you want to use them too.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 15:23 BST (UK) »

https://isogg.org/wiki/Investigative_genetic_genealogy_FAQs

If you have time to wade through this!

Kim