Author Topic: 1850 baptism Frances Simkins, Chipping Norton  (Read 1071 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1850 baptism Frances Simkins, Chipping Norton
« on: Sunday 29 September 19 16:01 BST (UK) »
What do you make of the annotations in this entry?

Thanks.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1850 baptism Frances Simkins, Chipping Norton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 September 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the baptism entry for the other Simkins children with parents George & Ann dated 6th April 1865

James Henry, Annie, Stephen George and Thomas

She was probably present when they were baptised, possibly done again though there is no mention of her on that page
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 September 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
Ah I see, thanks. There were a few 'bulk' baptisms that day - 4 Reddells, 4 Sim[p]kins, 3 Allens, 4 Drings & 5 Watts [if you look on next page]....a new minister perhaps?
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 September 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
Could it be that Frances was baptised on 29 June 1850 and then received into the church on 6th April 1865?

Not uncommon for a child to be baptised soon after birth if poorly and then later formally received into the church.  I have found a few years difference as the above on a few of my ancestors.

If you Google the church you might find a list of former rectors/curates and that might include the person who made the amendment(s).

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 08:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Yes I was thrown by there being no indication that the 1850 baptism was private. The 6 April 1865 date for being received s the same as the baptism of siblings found by rosie. Will look into names of incumbents.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 November 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

As this normally means when they were received into the parish ie when they moved there from another parish so I wonder if she was baptised there before the family actually lived there hence her baptism being before the date she was received - I wonder if she was the first child & as was the norm the mother went home to have the baby to be close to her mother who had been through it all before her.

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josey

I only just noticed that you put the full entry on this request & in my hurry took it as just a partial entry - on reading the full entry I must say its thrown me a bit as I've not come across that before & hope that you get this sorted out.

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Could it be that she was confirmed in April 65, the right age for a C of E confirmation, and a note was made on the baptism by a conscientious cleric, the note at the bottom being the godparents.

Modified, the note is the presenters

Mike

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I have just had another look & realise that the mark in the margin is 'P' - so a Private baptism - can also see this marked in 2 other baptisms on facing page. I had left this margin partly off in earlier post, sorry - a 'DOH' moment.