Author Topic: Families of Llanwnog and the surrounding farms  (Read 5059 times)

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Families of Llanwnog and the surrounding farms
« on: Monday 30 September 19 21:57 BST (UK) »
The original thread I put up 8 years ago about Aberhafesp was here: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=547453.0

It's been a long time coming, but I've made some progress on this area and wanted to see if anyone else would like to share research, etc, as many of the families are inter-connected.

I originally started searching for my tenant farmer ancestors, the Smiths, in the area around Llanwnog, and was particularly interesting in their time at Thimble Hall, and wanted to research the Aberhafesp Hall estates as a result. Typically, the SMiths are giving me the most trouble, but I've had luck with my ancestors leading back from Ann Rees, born in 1774.

Imagine my surprise when the will of one of their ancestors, a Richard Whittington (the father of the one mentioned in the other thread) lists himself as being of Aberhafesp Hall.  The family seem to have been based in the area all the way back to 1657, but I'm still waiting on some documents to confirm which parcels of land that included.

What I did find, however, was a direct link between the Whittington and Morgan families in the area.  Margaret Morgan has a son, David Rees, who marries Richard Whittington's daughter, Martha. I haven't done much on this line yet, but they are all from Llanwnog. In addition, it seems that the Whittingtons married into the Jarvis family back in the very late 1600s (Morrati Jarvis and his son, Roger), and I wondered if this was where the Jervis connection comes in?

I'm almost certain I've seen the name on other documents I have as well, so I need to look those up again.

There's also solid ties into the Swancotts, the Hughes family, the Pryce family, the Lloyds and the Thomas family, and the possibility of a link to someone called Llewellyn. I'm trying to backfill with wills, rent agreements and other things, and I would love to share with anyone who is looking at families in the area in the 1600s and 1700s.

Please reach out if that's you! With all the new records now available online, I'm like a kid in a candy store!

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Families of Llanwnog and the surrounding farms
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 October 19 00:01 BST (UK) »
Kia ora

I am also in the candy store.  I don't have any of the names you have mentioned.  These are my connections.  I do have the will for Mary and her husband William which I have translated and am happy to share that and anything else I can help with.   

nga miihi
Bronwen Summers
Otautahi / Christchurch
Aotearoa

Mary Shenton wife of William Rubbathan mother of Edward Rubbathan   (Garth Mill???)
b.1727 Apr 26 St Michael & All Angels, Kerry, Montgomeryshire, Wales 
m.1751 Jul 21 William Rubbathan, St Gwynog, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire, Wales
d.1803 Mar 21 Mary Rubathan, age 78, Sts Andrew & Mary, Condover, Shropshire, Eng.    (Will)   
Children 6
1756 June 21 William Rubbathan, St Gwynog, Llanwnog, Montgomeryshire, Wales mentioned in will  see possible tombstone
1757 Sep 18 ‘Daughter’ Rubbathan, St Gwynog, Llanwnog, Montgomeryshire, Wales       (is this Elizabeth)?
1762 Aug 22 Edward Rubbathan, St Mark, Frodesley, Montgomery, Montgomeryshire, Wales   (I)   
1763 Mar 20 Thomas Rubbathan, St Mark, Frodesley, Montgomery, Montgomeryshire, Wales (reg.) (I) 
1764 Feb-1852 Ann Rubbathan, St Mark, Frodesley, Montgomery, Montgomeryshire, Wales 1774 Nov. 21. Edward Shuker, of Cardington, Farmer, & Ann Rubbathan, of St Mark, Frodesley, sp., lic ... mar.  d.Ann died 1852 Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Wales.  1804 Mary Rubbathan will has Ann Shuker, and Ann’s children: John Shuker, Edward Shenton Shuker and William Shuker, Edward, Ann, Isaac, William and John Jones as benificaries, Mary’s brother-in-law Edward Rubbathan and son-in-law Edward Shuker of Penkridge Staffordshire, Farmer, grand daughters Ann Shuker and Ann Jones
1765 Apr 15 Thomas Rubbatham St Mark, Frodesley, Montgomery, Montgomeryshire, Wales   (script)
1778 May 1. Isaac Jones, of Forden, & Elizabeth Rubbathan, lic ... ma. c.Edward, Ann, Isaac, William & John Jones   Elizabeth parents John & Anne  10 Oct 1770
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 20 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Bronwen,

sorry it took me so long to respond!

I actually got myself so tangled up that I've started again trying to plot the various families - starting with the Swancotts - through the 1600s and 1700s in the hope of teasing them apart (why do they all use the same names??). I've connected with a few other amazing researchers as we try to figure out who was living where and who rented which land from whom, etc, and I've amassed an impressive number of wills in the process. I am more than happy to share in case it relates to your own families in any way :-)

At this rate, I'm going to reconstruct the entire social history of LLanwnnog and Trefeglwys before I'm able to figure out which branch of each tree I'm actually on!

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 20 19:22 BST (UK) »
Just putting a quick note here but I'll be back with more details...

I have Woolleys and Thomases from Trefeglwys but I also wanted to mention to BronwenS thatI have an Edward Shenton Morris (born in Kerry) briefly in my tree...

RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
This all sounds marvellous, keep it coming.  It would be great to have a broader picture of the area.

Edward Shenton Morris born in Kerry sounds really good. 

Nga mihi
Bronwen
Aotearoa - almost out of lockdown!
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline karenritchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 20 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 I'm trying to obtain information re. a john bywater ( born around 1740 in radnorshire) who married a jane morris in 1771 . Both passed away in Llanwnogg in 1826.
They had a son Peter ( born 1785) married to a Mary Jones who lived at Llanwwnog ..I've found out quite alot about Peter, but know little of his father and mother. ( I' ve been informed John might have been a schoolteacher- not sure where). As well as Peter he had sons James, John and Thomas.
I've also heard one of ancestors founded a school in Barmouth and all originated from tanners in Yorkshire.
Any info much appreciated. Reached a brick wall re. dates of birth for.john and jane. However any info on links with Llanwnogg of interest.Any interesting facts about Peter and wife Mary Jones residents of  Llanwnogg ??

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 20 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,

just a quick look over my own stuff and I found a few bits about the Bywaters but I'm not sure how they fit into your tree. The name seems common in the Llanwnog area all the way back to the early 1700s, and I could find a John Bywater who owned enough property to have a vote in 1774. How does Peter link back into Radnorshire? I couldn't find a birth recorded for a Peter, although there were a family of Bywaters (Morris Bywater and a John & Mary Bywater) living at Drevor in Llanidloes, so I wondered if they link into your family somehow?

All the best,

Gemma

Offline karenritchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 20 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gemma ,
Thanks for your message.

It seems john bywater ( born abt1742,died 1826) resided in radnorshire as did  his wife Jane Morris ( born abt 1740  died 1826).
( they may have both been born in radnorshire)
The name Llanbardarn Fynydd ( radnorshire)crops up in marriage bonds suggesting they both resided there.(? born there)
Their son Peter was born in 1785 at glascwm  radnorshire. It then looks like they all moved at some time to Llanwnogg, Montgomeryshire where Peter married Mary Jones and had several children.
John and Jane where buried somewhere around there.
Its just that I've come to a standstill with John and Jane with re to  were they definitely born in radnorshire? and birthdates?Apparently John was a schoolteacher, and had a few other sons James  Thomas and John. Also trying to locate info on them.
If anyone can help??😁

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 20 14:20 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has burial records for John and Jane Bywater at Llanwnog; Jane Bywater (aged 86) of Tynewydd was buried 9 Jan 1826 and John Bywater (aged 84) of Caersws on 28 April 1826.

Does that help?

RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk