Author Topic: Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie - married 1820, no earlier information  (Read 3032 times)

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie - married 1820, no earlier information
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 October 19 16:28 BST (UK) »
"Elizabeth Fotheringham (married name Elizabeth Gordon) is my direct ancestor, and was born in Arbroath in 1826. Jane (married name Jane Cameron) is also my direct ancestor, due to her marrying her first cousin. She was born in 1821 in St. Vigeans"

They're 1st cousins, one of each parent has to be siblings, can you tell us who those siblings are please?

Annie

Alex Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie's two daughters, Jane (born 1821) and Elisabeth (born 1826), each had a kid who married each other. Jane married John Cameron, and they had a son named David. Elisabeth married Charles Gordon, and they had a daughter named Ann. David and Ann married each other.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie - married 1820, no earlier information
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 October 19 16:39 BST (UK) »
It might be worth looking at James Fotheringham who married Margaret Lumsden in 1853   :-\
They had children Alexander and Jane Ann , and his age matches the James Fotheringham in the 1841 Census.
Hopefully his death certificate(1890 Arbroath ?) would confirm his parents.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/129872559/james-fotheringham

1851 Census transcription FreeCEN.
Smithycroft , Arbroath.
Alexr Peter 66 hand loom linen weaver
Elizth Peter 55 wife
James Fotheringham 19 nephew , flax dresser hand
All born Arbroath.

ev

I bought James's death certificate. He died 1890 in Arbroath and his parents are listed as Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 October 19 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that doesn't help with what I was thinking which was the parent being a sibling of either Alexander Fotheringham or Jane Ritchie :-[

Better to know than wonder  :)

"I bought James's death certificate. He died 1890 in Arbroath and his parents are listed as Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie"

It's always good to have confirmation which adds more weight to Elizabeth being Jane's sister & baptisms matching same parents & approx. ages on census.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 October 19 18:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that doesn't help with what I was thinking which was the parent being a sibling of either Alexander Fotheringham or Jane Ritchie :-[

Better to know than wonder  :)

"I bought James's death certificate. He died 1890 in Arbroath and his parents are listed as Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie"

It's always good to have confirmation which adds more weight to Elizabeth being Jane's sister & baptisms matching same parents & approx. ages on census.

Annie

So based off of everything I have, do you think it's safe to say that Jane Ritchie's parents were William Ritchie and Janet Milne?
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 October 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
In my opinion, it looks good but with the availability of so many OPRs (which I lack & holds me back), I'd be keen to see more of what's on them especially as there were a few siblings who may be witnesses/sponsors but maybe I'm just too curious & enjoy when names crop up on records which are new to me or help to confirm things which you can never have too many of  :-\

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 05 October 19 21:55 BST (UK) »
In my opinion, it looks good but with the availability of so many OPRs (which I lack & holds me back), I'd be keen to see more of what's on them especially as there were a few siblings who may be witnesses/sponsors but maybe I'm just too curious & enjoy when names crop up on records which are new to me or help to confirm things which you can never have too many of  :-\

Annie

Is there anything in terms of records that I'm missing that I should look out for?
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 05 October 19 22:34 BST (UK) »
Mainly the deaths but as I said, if it was me, without the DCs the OPRs would be my choice just for that bit more satisfaction & at least a possibility of a death of one of the Ritchie/Milne children & possible census' with family names but...

Annie

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 October 19 00:41 BST (UK) »
Mainly the deaths but as I said, if it was me, without the DCs the OPRs would be my choice just for that bit more satisfaction & at least a possibility of a death of one of the Ritchie/Milne children & possible census' with family names but...

Annie

I'm gonna get back to this research now and see if there's something I missed on SP.
So do you think that the Alexander I found who died in St Vigeans and is said to be born in Perthshire is my ancestor?
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 12 October 19 04:01 BST (UK) »
Google      Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie    and there are multiple hits on the Internet. New to you?