Author Topic: steamship Victoria  (Read 547 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
steamship Victoria
« on: Wednesday 02 October 19 19:49 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the career of a relative who was crew member on the Sunderland steamship "Victoria" between 6 Aug and 21 Dec 1892.  Browsing old newspapers on line an article in Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser published on Tuesday 16 August 1892 caught my eye - "The steamer Victoria, from the East, has arrived with £50.000 sovereigns from Sydney, £6.020 in gold and silver coin from Melbourne. £100"  An interesting piece for the family's history.  Can someone please copy me details.  ... 

Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: steamship Victoria
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 October 19 00:53 BST (UK) »
Did you want the whole article?

“THE MONEY MARKET

… The steamer Victoria, from the East, has arrived with £50,000 in sovereigns from Sydney, £6,020 in gold and silver coin from Melbourne, £100,000 in sovereigns from Melbourne, £1.045 in silver coin from Adelaide, £2,250 in treasure from Hiogo, £6,040 in gold bars and £32,600 in gold bars from Shanghai, £6,200 in sovereigns from Hong Kong, £10,100 in sovereigns and eagles, and £3,900 in gold coin from Hong Kong, and £29,000 in gold coin from Bombay.”

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser. (Aug. 16, 1892)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 October 19 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Maddy
Thanks for the details. 

I am seeking anything to do with the ship during the 4 months mentioned.   Does the article it say why the money was being shipped to the UK?

Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 October 19 01:14 BST (UK) »
I'm not really sure why, certainly there are many ships transporting money at this time. Perhaps as implied in this Brittanica article it was investment coming in to English banks.

"Yet the country’s economic position would have been completely different had it not been for Britain’s international economic strength as banker and financier. During years of economic challenge at home, capital exports greatly increased, until they reached a figure of almost £200 million per annum before 1914, and investment income poured in to rectify adverse balance of trade accounts. Investing during these years in both “formal” and “informal” empire was more profitable, if more risky, than investing at home. But it also contributed to domestic obsolescence, particularly in the old industries. Thus, ultimately, there was a price to pay for imperial glory. During the last 20 years of peace before 1914, when Britain’s role as rentier was at its height, international prices began to rise again, and they continued to rise, with fluctuations, until after the end of World War I. Against this backdrop, the City of London was at the centre of international markets of capital, money, and commodities."

https://www.britannica.com/place/United-Kingdom/The-return-of-the-Liberals

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 October 19 01:45 BST (UK) »
There are many mentions of the steamer Victoria in Aug-Dec 1892 in the newspapers, arrivals and departures, and a collision off Admiralty Pier at Dover 23 Dec 1892.

I could be very wrong, but I think there were a number of steamers named Victoria. Are you sure you have the right one, built at Sunderland in 1861? That was a paddle steamer and according to this was broken up in 1892.
http://sunderlandships.com/view.php?ref=157358

RootsChatter Seaweed is very knowledgeable about things maritime, he may be able to help.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 October 19 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddy
See attached portion of Statement of Service at Sea; this is the source document which I have been working with.  Victoria SS 1530 tonnage, Registered Sunderland Official No 87092