Author Topic: Mary Claytor of Bassingfield  (Read 765 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mary Claytor of Bassingfield
« on: Friday 04 October 19 06:15 BST (UK) »
I have a bit of a puzzle regarding an ancestor, Mary Claytor.

She appears to have had three illegitimate children baptised at West Bridgford, all of whom died young - William (1790-1790), Elizabeth (1792-1795), and Martha (1795-1802). At Martha's burial her abode is listed as Bassingfield (in Holme Pierrepont parish), where Mary and her husband were then living.

Mary married William Gilding in 1797 at West Bridgford. At her marriage she is noted as of Bassingfield.

Mary and William went on to have twelve children, the first six born at Bassingfield between 1797 and 1804, and the second six born at Gamston in West Bridgford parish between 1806 and 1817.

The 1841 census shows Mary age 67 in Gamston.

The 1851 census shows her age 77 and born in "Ratcliff", Notts.

Mary died in 1855 and age at death given as 81.

So this would lead one to conclude Mary was born c.1774, probably in either Radcliffe-on-Trent or Ratcliffe-on-Sour.

There is a baptism on 21 Apr 1774 at Radcliffe-on-Trent, which up to this point I had assumed was very likely her. This Mary was daughter of Samuel Claytor and Mary nee (Hull). Samuel and Mary had a number of children at Radcliffe before moving in the early 1790s to Bassingfield, which fits nicely with Mary (their daughter) having her first child there around that time. Samuel Claytor and his wife Mary both died at Bassingfield in 1823.

However, I recently came across a burial for Mary, daughter of Samuel and Mary Claytor on 10 Aug 1777 at Radcliffe-on-Trent. This is, presumably, the daughter Mary who was baptised in 1774, who I thought was my Mary.

I can't find an alternative baptism for my Mary Claytor, nor can I find any wills or other documents that help determine her parents. The connections with Bassingfield (a very tiny place) made me so certain I was on the right track, until I found that burial. Any ideas on how to progress with this?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Claytor of Bassingfield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 October 19 10:39 BST (UK) »
Baptisms on Freereg 1770-1780 - parents Francis & Ann

Mary CLAYTOR   Baptism   1 Aug 1778   Nottinghamshire   Bingham : St Mary and All Saints
Elizabeth CLAYTOR   Baptism   28 Nov 1780 Nottinghamshire   Bingham : St Mary and All Saints

Only one I can see in the area, might be worth a look?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 October 19 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

It's possible and I had considered this but the date and place doesn't seem quite right. It so happens that this Mary Claytor b.1778 was a first cousin of the other Mary Claytor b.1774 (their fathers Francis and Samuel being brothers). If this is my Mary then it seems certain she did not have her first child in 1790, although I have to admit that I do not have any definitive evidence that William, son of Mary Claytor baptised and buried in 1790 at West Bridgford is the son of my Mary.

Will keep digging.

Thanks
Alexander

Offline Simmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 November 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi All!
A quick look on the Notts FHS disc shows a Mary CLATOR dau of Francis & Eliz. baptised 28 Dec 1751 at Radcliffe on Trent

They also had Francis CLATOR (male) 27 May 1750
Samuel CLATOR 25 May 1755
John CLATOR 28 Feb 1762
 All recorded at Radcliffe at Trent.

Hope this is useful

Regards

Joyce

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 November 19 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joyce,

Thanks - that Samuel Clator b.1755 was the father of Mary b.1774.

Still struggling to find the link of my Mary to these families although they are no doubt related.

Thanks

Alexander