Author Topic: Walter Wharton Little 1827-1894 Longtown  (Read 2165 times)

Offline LittleGenealogist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Wharton Little 1827-1894 Longtown
« on: Friday 04 October 19 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi -

I'm new to Rootschat and I'm looking to find more information about my ggg-grandfather. I've exhausted everything online and I'm hoping that someone has access to Arthuret parish records or suggestions about what I can do to find out who his parents were. 

Here's what I know: 

From census records 1841-1891... I know he was born in Longtown in 1827 and moved to Elswick with his children and wife, Margaret (b. 1824 Longtown).
From an "irregular" marriage record, I know he married Margaret Huggon in Gretna Green in 1850. Birth records of his children confirm her maiden name.
From his death record, I know he died in 1894 in Elswick.

What I want to know is who his parents are:

In the 1841 census Walter lives on Netherby St with Jane Little, but Jane's age puts her too old to be his mother.  Is this his grandmother? 

Walter seems to go by Walter Little in the census, but is listed as Walter Little Warton in one of the Gretna Green records and Walter Wharton Little in his death record.  Is Wharton just a middle name? Or could he be the illegitimate child of a Mr. Wharton and a Miss Little? Or a Mr. Little and a Miss Wharton?

Thank you so much for helping out!

-Kate
Little, Wharton, Huggon, Renwick, Edkin/Atkin (Longtown)
Robson (Jedburgh)
Richardson (Winlaton)
Wines/Wynes (Scotland?)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Wharton Little 1827-1894 Longtown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 October 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
There's a non conformist baptism at the Scotch Presbyterian Church, Nether Knowe, Bewcastle for a Walter Little, son of William Little and Jane.

Another possibility is that the Wharton name, other than his mothers maiden name, is possibly one of his grandmothers maiden name.  Just thinking about Scottish naming patterns and the close proximity to the Scottish border?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 October 19 21:58 BST (UK) »
There's a non conformist baptism at the Scotch Presbyterian Church, Nether Knowe, Bewcastle for a Walter Little, son of William Little and Jane.

Thanks -- I've considered that record, but I am pretty sure that that Walter Little is much more likely to be the one who is living in Bewcastle with his parents - William and Jane in the 1841 census, with his first wife Margaret in Bewcastle in 1851 and with his mother Jane in Bewcastle in 1861 as a widower.  It looks like he remarries a woman named Mary Gillespy in 1861.  Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that he's not the Walter I'm looking for, though I wish he were!  The Walter I'm looking for I believe lived in Longtown on Netherby St. in 1841, Esk St. in 1851 and Netherby St. in 1861 before moving to the Newcastle area in the 1860's.

Another possibility is that the Wharton name, other than his mothers maiden name, is possibly one of his grandmothers maiden name.  Just thinking about Scottish naming patterns and the close proximity to the Scottish border?

I don't know anything about Scottish naming, but I'll look into it. Thanks!
Robson (Jedburgh)
Richardson (Winlaton)
Wines/Wynes (Scotland?)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 October 19 23:21 BST (UK) »
Had a quick look at the census' and think you're right and he's not the one from Bewcastle.

Do you know when Jane (possible grandmother) died? Just wondering if anything can be gleaned from her burial record, maybe whether she was married or single, as a possible way to track down Walter's mother/father.

Little is such a common surname in the area and with common first names it makes it really difficult!

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 October 19 11:12 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say Welcome to Rootschat!

I can check the parish records if you think there is a likely death, to see if there is any extra info that might be in them.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 October 19 13:03 BST (UK) »
I cant find a Bapt for Walter.

Possible scenario re a Wharton/Little Marriage?
I may be clutching at straws here!

Marriage;
John WHARTON/Esther LITTLE
24 Nov 1827
Allendale, Northumberland, England

ESTHER Little
Birth date   11 Nov 1798
Baptism date 06 Mar 1802 Holy Cross, Haltwhistle, Northumberland
Parents THOS/JANE**
8th Daug (may be wrong see below, could be 3rd Daug)
Mother nee WHITE
Fathers Occp Labourer

Siblings Baptisms same Church;
HANNAH 31 Oct 1795
ISABELLA 31 Oct 1795
THOMAS 06 Mar 1802, Birth 25 Feb 1802 1st Son
JANE 27 Mar 1805 4th Daug
ELIZABETH 21 Aug 1814
JOHN 21 Aug 1814
No Birth years given for Hannah/Isabella/Elizabeth/John

Thomas LITTLE married Jane WHITE 08 Feb 1792 same Church

1851 Census
Hexham, Northumberland
John Wharton, 50, Saddler, born Penrith, Cumberland
Esther Wharton, 50, Toll? Gate Keeper, born Haltwhistle, Northumberland
Elizabeth Wharton, 19
John Wharton, 14

1841 Census
John Wharton   40 Saddler
Esther Wharton   40
Eliz Wharton   5
Esther Wharton   5
John Wharton   4

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 October 19 01:42 BST (UK) »
Do you know when Jane (possible grandmother) died? Just wondering if anything can be gleaned from her burial record, maybe whether she was married or single, as a possible way to track down Walter's mother/father.

I don't have any records, but have looked at the GRO index... the likeliest candidates:

1. Jane Little d. 1842 age 72 in Longtown would be too old to be listed as 65 on the 1841 census. (unless she lied about her age).
2. Jane Little d. 1849 age 78 in Longtown is the right age;  Unfortunately from an MI, I think she's the wife of Andrew and is listed in the 1841 census living in Blackpool Gate Bewcastle.
3. Janet Little d. 1844 age 72 in Longtown is also the right age but not exactly the right name! That said, I can not find a Janet Little in the 1841 census so perhaps Jane and Janet are interchangeable? Or the enumerator forgot to add a 't' to the end of her name?

I'm not 100% satisfied with the Jane Little death entries.  I had been hoping something obvious would show up!

Possible scenario re a Wharton/Little Marriage?
I may be clutching at straws here!

I have clutched those straws! I know them well...  ;D

It's an appealing theory, and it sort of almost fits...  But I don't think the Jane (White) Little from this family can be the same Jane Little I'm seeking from the 1841 census in Longtown.  For one thing, Longtown Jane Little is listed as being born in the same county - Cumberland, but the Jane (White) Little was born in Northumberland. Also, I'm pretty sure that Jane White Little died in 1834 and was buried in the same church in Haltwhistle as her baptism and wedding. The name, age and location fit well.  But thank you very much for trying!
Robson (Jedburgh)
Richardson (Winlaton)
Wines/Wynes (Scotland?)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 October 19 10:53 BST (UK) »
A s I said was clutching at straws ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 October 19 15:29 BST (UK) »

I don't have any records, but have looked at the GRO index... the likeliest candidates:

1. Jane Little d. 1842 age 72 in Longtown would be too old to be listed as 65 on the 1841 census. (unless she lied about her age).

Census ages in 1841 were rounded down so that one could be 65-69.  Ages at death are not reliable as they depend on the informants knowledge.  Maybe even Jane did not know how old she was  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk