Author Topic: Looking for Kirwan townland in County Wexford circa 1853  (Read 2360 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Kirwan townland in County Wexford circa 1853
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 06 October 19 22:08 BST (UK) »
There is an 1848 will in which a William Hogan of Wexford town is named. Has this been examined?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline mrk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 06 October 19 22:30 BST (UK) »
The December 1853 baptism for Patrick Kirwan, despite the mother's maiden name being recorded as Poor -- for whatever reason -- most very likely is the record for my great grandfather. The location in the Parish of Wexford, the date of the registration, the father's name, and the family names of both godparents, Hogan and Whitty (both of whom appear in records for Mary Power) clearly point to this. Further, there are no other registrations for a Patrick Kirwan born of a Martin and a Mary during the period 1853-1854 in Wexford.

The 10 November 1851 baptism record for Mary Kirwan records the mother's name as Margret Boland. This is not consistent with family lore, Irish records previously mentioned, or Canadian civil and church records.

The 1861 census for Canada West indicates that Martin was an illiterate labourer. You will note, however, that the enumerator has recorded the family name as Kinnan. There can be no doubt, however, that this is the correct family as the location, given names, and birth order of the children are all correct. Parish records from this time corroborate the fact that Martin and family were in Sarnia, Lambton County at this time.

1824 marriage registration for Mary Power and Patrick Cloak:
Catholic Parish Registers at the National Library of Ireland (https://registers.nli.ie: accessed 4 July 2017); parish of Wexford, Diocese of Ferns, County of Wexford, Microfilm 040254/02, Marriages 09 Jan. 1823 to 25 Nov. 1867, page 5.

1830 marriage registration for Mary Cloak and William Hogan:
Catholic Parish Registers at the National Library of Ireland (https://registers.nli.ie: accessed 24 October 2017); parish of Wexford, Diocese of Ferns, County of Wexford, Microfilm 04254/02, Marriages 09 Jan. 1823 to 25 Nov. 1867, page 18.

I have not seen the William Hogan will of 1848. I would very much like to see this and would appreciate if you could post the URL. Thanks!

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 06 October 19 22:37 BST (UK) »
The 1848 will is not that of William Hogan, rather he is mentioned.
Just go to NAI genealogy page and search the will registers.
http://www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie

As for the 1851 Mary Kirwan baptism, with mother Margaret Boland. I fully understand that this is not your family. My point is that unless this was your Martin Kirwan having an affair (in which case I would expect an annotation of illegitimate or bastard), then this says there was a second Martin Kirwan, at precisely the same time.  So, assuming a record for Martin in Wexford is ever found, the question will be, which Martin?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 07 October 19 03:18 BST (UK) »
The 1848 will is not that of William Hogan, rather he is mentioned.
Just go to NAI genealogy page and search the will registers.
http://www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie

If you search for William Hogan and Wexford under Wills Registers, you will come up with the entry I saw. Unfortunately, the link to the images gives 404 errors for me. Others on here have said there is a way to fix or circumvent this, but I don't recall at present.