Author Topic: Harry Bradbury  (Read 6886 times)

Offline Kay Kitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Harry Bradbury
« on: Saturday 05 October 19 08:47 BST (UK) »
One of my brick walls Harry Bradbury who was born around 1849 in London (maybe) and was a sailor on the St. James in 1874.  He married Sarah Ann Wilshire (maybe Poole) the day after the St. James docked in Maryboroughand they lived in Ipswich, Queensland then moved to Sydney.  He was a bit of a ladies man.  His parents were supposedly Michael Bradbury, Sailor and Bridget Murphy.  I have DNA tested on various sites.
Lycett, Staffs; Cross, Chesire; Green, Cheshire; Arden, Cheshire; Rushton, Staffs; Johnson, Notts; Lappan, Ireland; Bradbury, London?; Poole, Chelmsford; Wilshire, Chelmsford

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Bradbury
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 October 19 08:50 BST (UK) »
What information are you looking for, Kay?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Kay Kitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 October 19 08:54 BST (UK) »
All the information I have is what I have posted.  I can't find his birth or his parents so am stumped as to where he really came from and his lineage.  He had numerous children and his information varies a little with each child's registration details, as often happens.  On one registration he says he was born in Sydney and on another he says he was born in Parramatta, both of which are clearly wrong.  In others he just says London, which is probably wrong too.  I have lots of information about him after he arrived in Australia but zilch before then.  Even his details as a sailor on the St. James states he is English and that is all. 
Lycett, Staffs; Cross, Chesire; Green, Cheshire; Arden, Cheshire; Rushton, Staffs; Johnson, Notts; Lappan, Ireland; Bradbury, London?; Poole, Chelmsford; Wilshire, Chelmsford

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 October 19 08:56 BST (UK) »
Where did the information about his parents come from ?

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 October 19 08:59 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certificate? I can’t see a QLD marriage for them.

Did he jump ship? It could be a reason for not giving a correct place of birth.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 October 19 09:03 BST (UK) »
From Qld BDM:

Marriage: 1874   C455 Sarah Anne Wilsher to Harry Arthur Bradberry

1875   C2410 Alfred Ernest parents Bradbury Harry Arthur and Sarah Ann Wilsher

1876   C2338 Catherine Esther parents Bradbury Harry Arthur and Sarah Mary Wilsher

1878   C2710 Henry Arthur parents Bradbury Harry Arthur and Mary Wilsher

1881   C2825 Frances Theresa parents Bradbury Harry Arthur and Sarah Mary Wilsher

Jamjar

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 October 19 09:27 BST (UK) »
You need to see the marriage record.

QLD BDM marriage
1874   C455   Sarah Anne WILSHER   marr.  Harry Arthur   BRADBERRY

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 October 19 09:31 BST (UK) »
Where does this come from? He married Sarah Ann Wilshire (maybe Poole)

There is a 1888 QLD marriage between a William Wilsher and a Catherine Poole.

Jamjar

Offline Kay Kitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
I have his marriage certificate and all the kids birth certificates.  He did not jump ship but was noted on the St. James passenger list besides Sarah Wilsher’s entry as marrying her.  He lists his parents on the marriage certificate as Michael Bradbury, sailor and Bridget Murphy.  I am unable to find any information about him before he arrived in Australia.  I have searched English records for births, marriage of parents, census records, etc. - all the usual places I can think of.  It is possible he was born overseas if his father was a sailor and I have searched what records I can for overseas births.  I have a Trove account of a court case he was involved in from Australia where he states he is a British
Lion.