Author Topic: Harry Bradbury  (Read 6709 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Bradbury
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 06 October 19 04:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you, JM.

Interesting, it is Sarah Wiltshire so not necessarily Sarah Ann/Mary Wilsher.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 06 October 19 04:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, and a marriage one day after arrival ... it would need to be by special licence, and the clergy would have needed to have been aware prior, and consent to marry involved if either party was under 21 ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 06 October 19 04:49 BST (UK) »
Does it actually intend to show that Harry Arthur BRADBURY was a sailor on that same voyage of that ship?

JM

Looks that way to me.

Why would that have been added to a manifest?

Does it mean that they married on ship and then registered it in QLD.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 06 October 19 04:56 BST (UK) »
How secure were those passenger lists?  Could someone have added that note in pencil years later?
Are there other similar entries anywhere?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 06 October 19 05:01 BST (UK) »
How secure were those passenger lists?  Could someone have added that note in pencil years later?
Are there other similar entries anywhere?

It is a pdf, it is in black and white, and there's a different 'tone' to the 'colour' of the text ... so it may have been in different ink.  No date, no initial.  It could have been a rogue researcher making their own comment decades later or it could have been the remark made by the ship's captain at the time of lodging the passenger list in 1874 with the authorities.     It is a bit like borrowing a library book and realising that someone has underlined the words that they found important, or made their own comments in the margins... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 06 October 19 05:13 BST (UK) »
So, it looks to be Sarah on the ship, but is she WILTSHIRE, or WILSHER, by birth?

Jamjar

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 06 October 19 05:22 BST (UK) »
Married Harry Arthur
Bradbury one of the Sailors
Of Ship ___ __ ___  __

BUT

On the right hand side of the double page of entries are columns for date, name of employer, residence,  Term of Service and Wages.

Sarah WILTSHIRE’s employment commenced 28th
With FF Nixson, at Isawarra, for twelve months at £40 (p.a.)

Also the next listed passenger (Samuel WYBROW) also 19, found employment from 24th with same employer, but for six months, and at £30 p.a.

JM  ADD a snip attached now

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 06 October 19 05:31 BST (UK) »
JM, does it have her occupation?

I am wondering if this is her on the 1871: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFF1-8N9

I can’t find her on the 1861.

Jamjar

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 06 October 19 05:47 BST (UK) »
I have not found an occupation on her immigration list.

I have not found NIXSON or Isawarra either  ::) 

Sydney Morning Herald
BRADBURY – June 17, 1925, at Balmain Hospital, Harry Henry, dearly loved husband of Sarah Bradbury of 57 Ryan Street, Lilyfield, Leichhardt, aged 76 years.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16218591

JM