Author Topic: Harry Bradbury  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Bradbury
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 06 October 19 05:49 BST (UK) »
I have not found an occupation on her immigration list.

I have not found NIXSON or Isawarra either  ::) 

Sydney Morning Herald
BRADBURY – June 17, 1925, at Balmain Hospital, Harry Henry, dearly loved husband of Sarah Bradbury of 57 Ryan Street, Lilyfield, Leichhardt, aged 76 years.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16218591

JM

Here is FF, quite a few acres, 5th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article148019382

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 06 October 19 05:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar  :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 06 October 19 05:53 BST (UK) »
Forster Fitz-Herbert NIXON  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 06 October 19 05:54 BST (UK) »
Forster Fitz-Herbert NIXON  :)

JM

Fancy  ;D

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 06 October 19 08:35 BST (UK) »
Completely unrelated, but at reply 45, the linked article, at the bottom of the column:

'A correspondent of an American paper says there are no dally papers published in his town, but there is a ladies' sewing meeting, which answers the same purpose.'

I have belonged to a sewing cycle many years ago, totally agree with that view.  So much information known and not recorded.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 06 October 19 13:09 BST (UK) »
Can anyone else find out anything about the 'St James' - apart from it arriving in 1874 from London I can find nothing else about the ship i.e. was it a British ship?   Crew list?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 06 October 19 22:07 BST (UK) »
Here are a few more details of the ship and origins when it arrived in QLD

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/1386373

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 07 October 19 00:16 BST (UK) »
have a Trove account of a court case he was involved in from Australia where he states he is a British Lion.

In 1916 much of the politicking in Australia was a huge debate around conscription... Harry claimed to be a 15 year man o war man and a British Lion. 

Claiming to be a British Lion did not mean he was claiming to be born in England.... he was simply claiming to support the British Empire in WWI.   

The concept of Australian  'nationality' or 'citizenship'  did not come about until after WWII ... all those who served in the Australian Imperial Force were loyal British Subjects, whether born in the colonies or born in the U.K.

Some of the conscription debates in NSW in 1916 and 1917  revolved around loyalty to England's Established Church v Roman Catholicism.   The 'Home Counties' were often 'home' three or more generations prior,  but to NSW born British Subjects,   those English Counties ... well they were still 'home'

I have not yet found Harry as a baby or child in NSW.  But still looking, just in case.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 07 October 19 00:28 BST (UK) »

If you have birth certificates for the children of Harry BRADBURY and they record place of birth for father Harry you need to name the informant. 

Who is giving Harry a birthplace of .....Sydney.....Parramatta......?

Is there no birthplace on the marriage record?

Is this your Harry Arthur BRADBURY -h
Evening News 15 Jan 1916 p2
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/115273255?
....Witness was in his 70th year married and had 27 grand children. He had been a
man- o -war- man for 15 years.

If you have documents that record Harry's birthplace........be guided by the documents where Harry is the informant.   Harry is recording his own birthplace.

Here is Wivenhoe's post with live link to newspaper report from 1916.

JM