Author Topic: GENEALOGY files:what to do with them?  (Read 966 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
GENEALOGY files:what to do with them?
« on: Wednesday 09 October 19 06:47 BST (UK) »
Trying to do some forward planning here..... ;D

I'm sure I am not alone in this situation: What to do with my hard copy genealogy files? which contain numerous certificates, printouts, maps, title deeds records etc., etc., before I 'shuffle off'.

With no interest from immediate family shown at this point in time, I am hoping someone may have suggestions as to where the files* could be deposited. I would like to think that a descendant with an interest in their lineage will have access to my work.

*Mainly covering ancestors in Otago.

All suggestions most welcome.

Minniehaha.

HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: GENEALOGY files:what to do with them?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 October 19 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Minnie,

Maybe the bank, in a safety deposit box, but it is a good question.  I am sure over the years, I have seen the same sort of question on the boards and there have been discussions/suggestions with what to do with hard copies of files.

I haven't actually thought about my hard copies, but I might donate them to NZSG or something to that nature.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 October 19 07:14 BST (UK) »
Do you belong to the NZ SoG?
They have a scheme where you upload a digital file of your research.  It involves a bit of effort on your part, (you have to make a searchable index).

Until you die you still have control and any enquiries come to you, but after they have another arrangement.

I wonder if they do it for non members. If not it would be worth paying one years membership so you could do it.

——————-

The Digital Archive for Family History is a joint venture between The Ted Gilberd Literary Trust (TGLT) and the New Zealand Society of Genealogists (NZSG).

Its purpose is to create a repository that allows NZSG members to preserve the results of their unpublished family history research in a digital format.

The Archive specifically aims to encourage members to create a literary piece of work, including documents and images, in a digital format that reflects their family history research.

This is a digital archive and as such is paperless - paper copies of documents, photographs and stories will not be accepted. Each narrative family history must be accompanied by an Index of Names from which a searchable index is generated. This is available to members to search.

What the Digital Archive Offers
Preservation
Provide the means to keep a digital copy of your family history preserved for posterity

Back-up and Retrieval
Provide a safe and secure repository for your current work and the facility to retrieve your data in the event of a disaster

Access and Sharing
In your lifetime, you can decide who has access to your work. After you die, the NZSG (via the Digital Archivist) will provide access to your work according to strict guidelines.

Compatibility
A standard data format is used to store your narrative family history. At this point in time this is “Portable Document Format” (PDF) and the Index of Names is in GEDCOM format, however these may vary in the future when new digital formats are introduced.

Peace of Mind
You have “peace of mind” knowing that all of the time you have invested researching your family history will not be lost to future generations of your family.

Submission to the Archive
There is no cost for NZSG members to submit files to the Digital Archive and, if you are still working on your family history, you are encouraged to submit your "work in progress". You may make updated submissions on an annual basis from the date of submission.

Download information on Submissions to the Archive

Download the Digital Archive Submission Agreement

Access to the Archive
Members can access the Archive submissions of other members by contact with the Submitter or via the Archivist. You can search for the relevant submissions by query on the online Index of Names.

Access is via a searchable Index of Names. This index represents all the names of deceased persons contained within the family history narratives submitted to the Digital Archive. This index will only display individuals who are recorded as being born or baptised more than 110 years ago unless there is a death date.

When a Name of Relevance to Your Research is Found
If the submitter has chosen to respond to enquiries personally, pressing the Request Details button generates an email enquiry box on the screen for you to outline your interest in that name or family. Sending the email is “blind” and you do not see the submitter’s name and address until you receive a reply from them. How much information is subsequently shared is a “contract” between the enquirer and the submitter.
Where the submitter has chosen to nominate the Digital Archivist to answer all enquiries on their behalf, pressing the Request Details button sends the email directly to the Digital Archivist who responds to the enquiry.
When the submitter ceases to be a member of the NZSG, or at death, the control of the information passes to the Digital Archivist

SEARCH THE ONLINE INDEX
The Digital Archive provides the means for you to preserve your family history research for posterity and to allow you to share the results with “as yet unknown” family. You have “peace of mind” knowing that all of the time you have invested researching your family history will not be lost to future generations of your family.

All queries should be directed to the Digital Archivist DAFH at the NZSG or email to: Digital Archivist.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 October 19 07:49 BST (UK) »
I have both online and offline resources.

My loose 'plan' is to manipulate the data out of the online database (GEDCOM file) into a printable format and merge it with the hard copy documents; then publish it.

It doesn't solve perpetuity really as publication doesn't confer the rights to a reputable third party; but with the likes of Gumroad this still might be possible in some form?

My main concern is about privacy, as we protect the data of living persons, and many do not.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 October 19 07:52 BST (UK) »
Another thought is that when when we were at the archives Masterton we discovered they hold family histories and also have a visitors book that can be used to put family in contact with each other.

Perhaps in your case there is an Otago family history repository, or museum?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 October 19 02:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Definitely something to chew over.

Minniehaha.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 October 19 02:55 BST (UK) »
I had mine on PAF then transferred all to familysearch.org. With help it took me a long time. I am much happier now.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 October 19 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Barry,

Could you explain PAF please. Obviously something 'file'? As someone who does not not even know how to use a mobile phone, you can see my problem with the genealogy files.  ;D

Minniehaha.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 October 19 03:24 BST (UK) »
The statement about the demise of PAF a few years ago.

Personal Ancestral File, as of 2013, is a discontinued free genealogy software provided by FamilySearch, a website operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It allowed users to enter names, dates, citations and source information into a database, and sort and search the genealogical data, print forms and charts, and share files with others in GEDCOM format. PAF also linked images and other media files to individual records.